PDA

View Full Version : What to do, what to do...

Chilton
08-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Hi,

If you've been following along at home, you might know that a few hours ago we finished a GM build for a slightly newer version of LightWave.

This version addresses a myriad of very minor, yet very annoying bugs in the installation process, a few bugs in the help files, and something to do with dongles or something. I forget what that could be. But it's likely something you'll want.

What you need to do now, red bedongled Mac user, is contact our tech support via phone. Call them first thing in the AM. Tell them you have a red dongle. That's probably all they'll need to hear.

They will either send you a differently colored dongle or a happy new reprogrammed red dongle. Additionally, you'll get a new CD, with a new Mac version that can talk to the red dongles correctly. And then you can enjoy Pure LightWave 9 Bliss.

If you happen to have a short attention span, here it is again...
1) Call support
2) Say 'I have a red dongle'
3) They'll take it from there.

Sure, they'll laugh, and might throw a gratuitous red dongle joke your way, but I assure you that your problem will be resolved.

I'm suggesting you call them directly, due to the number of dongles we've already shipped. Those who call will obviously get precedence.

But what if you're outside of the continental US? Talk to your dealer. Replacement dongles (and CDs!) are *already* on their way to them. We aim to have this squashed entirely, ASAP.

Maybe, later this week or so, I'll be in the right mood to discuss exactly how all of this happened, what took so long, etc. We can also talk about the dongle vs. reg server vs. whatever issues.

Right now I just want to get back to fixing things on the Mac side of LightWave. So starting tomorrow, I'll hopefully be back in full swing on the UB version.

***Don't forget to call support !!!***

One other thing--if you DO NOT HAVE a red dongle, don't bother with this update. There's nothing more to it than dongle support. The really awesome Mac stuff is just around the corner.

-Chilton

Chilton
08-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Oh yeah, this fixes the problems on the PC side, too.

Brian_7
08-28-2006, 07:42 PM
I am relatively new to LW and own a purple dongle. Everything is working well so I can't complain. (And if I did I'm sure somebody would throw something at me!) I have been browsing the forums since the beta and I am very pleased with the work you have done Chilton!!

I know you hear that a lot lately (you should!) but, if I run into a problem in the future, I won't run out and buy the nearest 3D package for the mac. (Is there really another one out there?!!?)

Brian

Chilton
08-28-2006, 07:45 PM
One other thing--as far as we know, all of the red dongles out there are bad, by our more recent definition of what is acceptable. While we could ship a version of LW that works for some users, it would be irresponsible of us to do so, because there are problems with the dongles that will cascade if not checked soon.

So our current solution is to replace every red dongle out there with known good ones.

xeno3d
08-28-2006, 07:56 PM
So is there a download for this?

Chilton
08-28-2006, 08:34 PM
At this time, we need to replace all of the bad dongles. That's our current high priority item.

-Chilton

Reece James
08-28-2006, 08:58 PM
O well back to NewMagic it goes. They've said they will replace it with a purple one for me.

Now all I need is the UB update :D

dylansm
08-28-2006, 10:29 PM
I appreciate your keeping us up to date, Chilton. Here's the problem. I thought I'd get a head start on this process a week ago, so I returned my red dongle and will get a new one via UPS tomorrow morning. Am I to understand that I now have to order new CDs and that there is not going to be a download link?! I'm really, really fed up with this.

Please just post an update on the web site.... [insert stupid frowny face here]

Chilton
08-28-2006, 10:33 PM
Hi Dylan,

I appreciate your keeping us up to date, Chilton. Here's the problem. I thought I'd get a head start on this process a week ago, so I returned my red dongle and will get a new one via UPS tomorrow morning. Am I to understand that I now have to order new CDs and that there is not going to be a download link?! I'm really, really fed up with this.

Please just post an update on the web site.... [insert stupid frowny face here]

It actually depends on the dongle you're getting as a replacement. If it's not a red one, it will 'just work'. No update required. If it's a reprogrammed red one, I guess that would be a good argument for us putting a downloadable version online.

It's also possible you'll get a reprogrammed red one, along with the updated Mac app, on a CD. The real holdup for the last week or so has been on the PC side (and then an obscure but serious problem in the help files).

-Chilton

dylansm
08-28-2006, 11:11 PM
Thanks, we shall see. Keep up the good work.

exit6
08-29-2006, 01:46 AM
So I take it I should wait a few more weeks to bounce up to v9, yes?

BazC
08-29-2006, 02:11 AM
So I take it I should wait a few more weeks to bounce up to v9, yes?

If you buy direct from Newtek I don't see any reason to wait. NT aren't likely to ship any more faulty red dongles, not deliberately anyway! :hey:

Phil
08-29-2006, 02:43 AM
I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the dongle vendor :) Hopefully the responsible folks are getting a 'right good kicking'.

For what it's worth, with a USB ethernet dongle, LW could have network-based licensing and portability, all at the same time. Not much to go wrong then ;) Flexlm ties to the host ID which is derived from one of your network devices - point it at the USB ethernet dongle. Sorted.

Woezel
08-29-2006, 04:02 AM
Good day,

So what am I supposed to do if I have the same problem with a purple dongle (which is what I have)? I finally managed to install the software (for two weeks I kept getting the message that Eve3.framework was missing) but now I cannot seem to register as the application to do that with tells me the dongle cannot be found.

Michiel

Chilton
08-29-2006, 07:37 AM
Hi Michiel,

Good day,

So what am I supposed to do if I have the same problem with a purple dongle (which is what I have)? I finally managed to install the software (for two weeks I kept getting the message that Eve3.framework was missing) but now I cannot seem to register as the application to do that with tells me the dongle cannot be found.

That, sir, is a different problem entirely. Go look in the /Library/Frameworks folder and see if Eve3.framework is in there.

Do that first, then get back to us ;-)

-Chilton

Woezel
08-29-2006, 08:19 AM
Hi Michiel,

That, sir, is a different problem entirely. Go look in the /Library/Frameworks folder and see if Eve3.framework is in there.

Do that first, then get back to us ;-)

-Chilton

The framework is there alright now (but it took me two weeks before I managed that. It had something to do with the user not being the 'administrator'). I can also run the applications in Discovery mode just fine. The problem is that I cannot seem to register because the application for registering keeps telling me the dongle can't be found! And this is not a red dongle, but a purple dongle.

Michiel

Chilton
08-29-2006, 08:43 AM
Hi Michiel,

The framework is there alright now (but it took me two weeks before I managed that. It had something to do with the user not being the 'administrator'). I can also run the applications in Discovery mode just fine. The problem is that I cannot seem to register because the application for registering keeps telling me the dongle can't be found! And this is not a red dongle, but a purple dongle.

Is the dongle attached to your keyboard, or directly to your Mac? If it's on a keyboard, hub, etc., move it to your Mac and try again. Sometimes there's a power issue with multiple USB devices stringed together, which can cause this.

Also, does the dongle have a light on it? If so, does it turn on when you plug it in?

Thanks,
-Chilton

androidmaker
08-29-2006, 08:44 AM
is the USB port working? is the light on the dongle on? have you tryed using another USB port? i know you probably have but i just had to ask :)

Woezel
08-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Yes, I have tried several USB ports. Also, if I check the USB ports in the system menu I can see the dongle is plugged in (Sentinel). When I put it in one of the USB ports, a little greed light turns on.

From your answers I get the feeling this problem isn't as 'common' as I thought it was...

abgrafx3d
08-29-2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks Chilton!

Chilton
08-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Woezel,

No, not common, at least that I know of. You might have an actual bad dongle.

-Chilton

ChrisPitts
08-29-2006, 09:47 AM
Also try reinstalling the eve 3 framework from the Lightwave Program disk. I've seen a few times when the eve 3 installer messes something up after the install of Lightwave finishes, and you have to reinstall. Just open the dmg file, and run the installer package.

Woezel
08-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Also try reinstalling the eve 3 framework from the Lightwave Program disk. I've seen a few times when the eve 3 installer messes something up after the install of Lightwave finishes, and you have to reinstall. Just open the dmg file, and run the installer package.

I have tried reinstalling several times too. It doesn't solve the problem. I'm beginning to believe it might indeed be a broken dongle, though I do think it's strange that I can 'see' it just fine in the system menu. It's just the registration-software that can't seem to locate the darn thing.

Michiel

avkills
08-29-2006, 12:43 PM
If you are not running as admin, re-do the permissions on the Newtek folder and all of the contents to allow your normal day to day user to read and write. I had to do this for LW to be stable (at least more so).

-mark

Woezel
08-29-2006, 01:43 PM
If you are not running as admin, re-do the permissions on the Newtek folder and all of the contents to allow your normal day to day user to read and write. I had to do this for LW to be stable (at least more so).

-mark

Well, this is not the problem (any more). The program and the drivers and the framework have been installed just fine. And I can run the Discovery version just fine. I just can't register because the registration software can't find the dongle, no matter which USB port I plug it in. I tried them all: in the keyboard, in the monitor, directly in the computer... makes no difference. The little light on the dongle works fine too. And my computer _does_ 'recognise' the dongle too as I can see the dongle in the USB-menu of the system.

This is starting to become extremely frustrating.

Michiel

Chilton
08-29-2006, 02:24 PM
This is starting to become extremely frustrating.
Michiel

Hi Michiel,

The simple answer is that your dongle might be bad.

-Chilton

xeno3d
08-29-2006, 03:57 PM
Okay spoke with tech today and got an rma #. Forgot to ask but it sounded as if they will ship the working dongle plus the cd once they receive my broken one? Figured they would ship the working ones out asap to make up for the mistake?

vfxart
08-30-2006, 01:49 AM
"Oh yeah, this fixes the problems on the PC side, too."

Posilutely?

I can call at any time, but are we going to have to return the crap dongles as part of the process? I can't imagine WHY they'd be wantde back, except to make an accounting with the manufacturers. Anyway, if not I'll call ASAP, but if so, then I may wait til Friday, as I'm quite away from the machine... but this is good news, hopefully the only hiccup.

Chilton
08-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Posilutely?

Yes.

-Chilton

Jbucaro
08-30-2006, 09:19 AM
If we have the problem with the red dongle. We need to call Newtek to get a new one?

Thank you

Chilton
08-30-2006, 10:16 AM
If we have the problem with the red dongle. We need to call Newtek to get a new one?

Thank you

There are always other options, such as the Dongle Fairy. But I'd probably call NewTek just in case.

-Chilton

Glendalough
08-30-2006, 01:31 PM
I cannot seem to register because the application for registering keeps telling me the dongle can't be found! And this is not a red dongle, but a purple dongle.-WOEZEL

Hi Woezel,
I upgraded to 8.5 about a year ago and the application for registering never worked for me. The solution was to fill in the license by hand as in the old days...

This probably won't work in your situation (if dongle is defective, obviously) but just an idea....

fudini
08-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Okay spoke with tech today and got an rma #. Forgot to ask but it sounded as if they will ship the working dongle plus the cd once they receive my broken one? Figured they would ship the working ones out asap to make up for the mistake?

I called today and they said I should get the replacment and CD by Friday which is pretty good since I'm in Canada. They gave me an RMA number to ship back my broken red dongle but they aren't waiting for it to arrive before they ship the replacement so you shouldn't have to wait too long.

:thumbsup:

xeno3d
08-30-2006, 06:01 PM
Sweet, sounds hopefull then.. I sent my defect back today

vfxart
08-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Yes.

-Chilton

woohoo!
I mean, excellent... excellent news.

xeno3d
08-31-2006, 04:09 PM
Well.. 2 days since Ive contacted Tech.. was hoping to have a nice little package here waiting... I guess they really are waiting till they receive my bad dongle which is pretty crappy.

Maybe next week, a full month since I bought 9, I will be able to fully use it.

fudini
08-31-2006, 08:36 PM
Well.. 2 days since Ive contacted Tech.. was hoping to have a nice little package here waiting... I guess they really are waiting till they receive my bad dongle which is pretty crappy.

Again...I don't think so. They emailed a fedex tracking number to me today and they couldn't have received my bad dongle yet so I'd guess that you shouldn't have too long to wait. :yingyang:

xeno3d
09-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Confirmed.. got an email today saying my RMA was received and wll be processed. Next week my dongle may arrive...

thats crappy

Chilton
09-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Well that does suck. I have no control over the shipping policies here, unfortunately. I suspect we have a lot of these coming in and going out right now.

Sorry to hear about that.

-Chilton

xeno3d
09-01-2006, 01:13 PM
I few more days wont hurt. Good news is I did just get an email containing a ups tracking number :)

Chilton
09-01-2006, 01:24 PM
It's possible you could get the UPS guys to change the type/speed of delivery if you call them. However, since this is the three day weekend here in the US, it might not matter.

-Chilton

xeno3d
09-01-2006, 06:43 PM
its all good, it should be here by wednesday the latest

ScottSullivan
09-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Regarding the UB upgrade....

I've read as many of these threads as possible and think I've got a grasp. But then again, I never did have a strong grip on reality. So I'm going to ask away.

I have been using my XP box exclusively for LW9 (started using LW at 8.3). I have a PURPLE dongle. From what I've read, they've got no problems. At least, I've not had any problems with it. Also, it's never touched my Macbook Pro.

Once the UB ships/is downloadable/whatever, will I simply plug my purple USB dongle into my Macbook and install the UB on it similar to my first install on the XP? Or do I need something special to "prep" the dongle. I'm assuming it's a non-discriminating dongle... equal access to XP and X. Am I correct in this?

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but I'm excited about moving LW9 to the Macbook and want to make sure my t's are crossed. I love my dongle and don't want to hurt him. :D

Thanks!
Scott

Chilton
09-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi,

Yes, the dongles are cross-platform compatible. Instantly and completely. Especially the purple ones. So all you do, when the UB version comes out, is install and go.

-Chilton

ScottSullivan
09-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Awesome. Thanks Chilton! Kevin, good luck with yours!
Scott

Blaine91555
09-03-2006, 02:50 PM
I'm using the purple dongle on a PC. The permanent key does not work. The wizard accept the key but when I open LW it says the key is expired. LW 8.5 works fine but I want to use 9. I called and followed all suggestion to no avail. To call I have to take part of a day off work or take this computer to work with me which is a pain. It would cost me nearly $300 to take a half day off. The temp keys on the beta's worked fine but the permanent one does not. I'm starting to be sorry I bought this. Every hour I spend on this is an hour away from work or what little free time I have for my family. This is becoming very expensive software. Please give me a sollution to this. Discovery mode just does not do it for me.

avkills
09-03-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm using the purple dongle on a PC. The permanent key does not work. The wizard accept the key but when I open LW it says the key is expired. LW 8.5 works fine but I want to use 9. I called and followed all suggestion to no avail. To call I have to take part of a day off work or take this computer to work with me which is a pain. It would cost me nearly $300 to take a half day off. The temp keys on the beta's worked fine but the permanent one does not. I'm starting to be sorry I bought this. Every hour I spend on this is an hour away from work or what little free time I have for my family. This is becoming very expensive software. Please give me a sollution to this. Discovery mode just does not do it for me.

Ummm, you do know that each version has its own key, ie the key for the Mac will not work on the Windows version, you need to re-register the Windows version to get a new Windows key. (I am just bringing this up since you've posted in the Mac help threads.)

I may be wrong, but I believe the beta keys do not work with the final release version either.

-mark

Blaine91555
09-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Did not realize I was in the Mac thread. Found this with a search on "key" sorry. Does not change the fact that there is also problems with the purple dongles.

Chilton
09-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Hi Blaine,

As far as I know, there are no known bugs in the purple dongles on the scale of the ones we had with the red dongles.

Even though this is the Mac thread, I'm happy to help if I can. And I know you're a busy guy, so if you can give me a quick summary of what steps you've already taken, I'll be happy to see if I can suggest something else to try.

-Chilton

xeno3d
09-06-2006, 07:43 PM
I posted this in the other mac dongle issue thread...

any reason why I got a purple and a red replacment dongle?

Chilton
09-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Hi Kevin,

I don't know. I'll look into it tomorrow though.

-Chilton

xeno3d
09-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Cool, no problems. as I posted in the other thread the new red one works like a charm. reinstalled from the new cd as well. up and running! :D

Blaine91555
09-07-2006, 12:10 AM
Hi Blaine,

As far as I know, there are no known bugs in the purple dongles on the scale of the ones we had with the red dongles.

Even though this is the Mac thread, I'm happy to help if I can. And I know you're a busy guy, so if you can give me a quick summary of what steps you've already taken, I'll be happy to see if I can suggest something else to try.

-Chilton

Thanks for the reply. I've sent an email with details to support. No response yet. I called directly on this once and followed the advice but nothing worked. I just found out I can escape on Friday and I plan on calling and keeping one of you on the phone until it works:) Thanks for the offer but I think if this is unique I'd better do this on the phone. I'm not in panic mode as I have 8.5 for now. Its not so much that I'm busy as it is that I have a small company and no one to cover for me. I have to lock the doors and everyone who works for me looses a days income also. Without front office up and running there is no income. For now, its Miller time :beerchug:

xeno3d
09-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Ummm, you do know that each version has its own key, ie the key for the Mac will not work on the Windows version, you need to re-register the Windows version to get a new Windows key. (I am just bringing this up since you've posted in the Mac help threads.)

I may be wrong, but I believe the beta keys do not work with the final release version either.

-mark

FYI, my license key for my mac is the same as the license key on my PC

avkills
09-07-2006, 06:20 PM
FYI, my license key for my mac is the same as the license key on my PC

Hmmm, interesting. Newtek makes it sound as if they are suppose to be different.

-mark

xeno3d
09-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Maybe it is different for intel based macs vs ppc based macs..

Not sure really :)

Chilton
09-08-2006, 08:37 AM
Howdy from San Antonio,

The Duo dongles (blue or purple) had two IDs, and you'd get one or the other based on what software interface was used to access the device.*

Thus the clever 'Duo' name.

The Red dongles only have one ID, which was not programmed correctly on the dongles we shipped earlier. The red ones work correctly now, and should report the same ID on all platforms. If it doesn't, try using a different USB connection. I'm not positive, but I believe that if the bus runs low on power, the dongle's ID is reported wrong.

HTH,*
-Chilton

xeno3d
09-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Howdy from San Antonio,

The Duo dongles (blue or purple) had two IDs, and you'd get one or the other based on what software interface was used to access the device.*

Thus the clever 'Duo' name.

The Red dongles only have one ID, which was not programmed correctly on the dongles we shipped earlier. The red ones work correctly now, and should report the same ID on all platforms. If it doesn't, try using a different USB connection. I'm not positive, but I believe that if the bus runs low on power, the dongle's ID is reported wrong.

HTH,*
-Chilton

So why would one get a purple AND a red one shipped to them?

Im thinking I'll keep the purple for a backup in case the red goes on the fritz again

Chilton
09-08-2006, 01:31 PM
So why would one get a purple AND a red one shipped to them?

Im thinking I'll keep the purple for a backup in case the red goes on the fritz again

Hi Kevin,

I asked the support staff this question. Two things we're not clear on though--did you receive one or two separate packages, and if it's two, did they ship to you on the same date?

Tech Support thinks it might have been a simple shipping error, or possibly a replacement if you have ordered more than one dongle in the past. Of the two, you should probably use the red dongle.*

-Chilton

xeno3d
09-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Hi Chilton,

I received two seperate packages, I believe they shipped on the same date, one didn't have a packing slip.

No biggie, thanks for checking into it.