PDA

View Full Version : Integrating Vue and Lightwave 9.0

Sentinel45
08-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Any thoughts on how to best integrate Vue 5 Infinite and Lightwave? I've been having some problems, the best I've been able to do is get the geometry from the Vue objects and export them into Lightave, but not the textures. What am I doing wrong?

Wonderpup
08-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Its well worth doing a search on this issue as it has been discussed a lot lately. There was a guy recently posted a demo of a new plugin that looked good for this. There was also a guy who did a whole set of tutorial videos on getting lightwave stuff into vue- sorry I can't remember details- but the search tool is your friend. Also visit the vue forum on CG Talk- a lot of good stuff there.

If your up for the cost there's also a new plugin from eon called extreme that in theory make's the whole integration thing easy- but I would do a bit of research before spending the money- the reviews I've read have not been universaly positive.

Sentinel45
08-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Its well worth doing a search on this issue as it has been discussed a lot lately. There was a guy recently posted a demo of a new plugin that looked good for this. There was also a guy who did a whole set of tutorial videos on getting lightwave stuff into vue- sorry I can't remember details- but the search tool is your friend. Also visit the vue forum on CG Talk- a lot of good stuff there.

If your up for the cost there's also a new plugin from eon called extreme that in theory make's the whole integration thing easy- but I would do a bit of research before spending the money- the reviews I've read have not been universaly positive.

That's a good idea. I'll also be taking a lot of notes as I experiment w/ Vue and Lightwave... I'll keep everyone posted what I find out.

SP00
08-28-2006, 07:15 PM
If you know a lot about compositing videos together, than Vue 5 should be easy. If you want better interaction between Vue and Lightwave objects, than it would probably be a good idea to invest in Xstream. The xstream plugin, pretty makes Vue part of LW.

Ambival
08-28-2006, 10:53 PM
The closest I've managed to come with Vue Infinite was to select the terrain (the object I wanted to export), selected Export Object. You have to make sure to tell it export the color and bump maps as well (these aren't selected by default). Sadly, the maps are exported from a top-down view of the terrain, so anything not parallel to the X-Z plane (X-Y for them) ends up badly distorted texture-wise. I'm also reasearching how to get a more accurate representation of that. A 2000x2000 bitmap is the maximum.