PDA

View Full Version : 3D buzz tv daily news>

cresshead
08-27-2006, 01:04 PM
3D buzz tv daily news>
if you've got itunes go and subscribe to buzz tv...it's a daily round up of cgi news from around the world including films games apps and 3d galleries etc...

ususally it's 20mins long and a good watch everyday...plus save you trawling round the net for the latest news...they'll do it for ya!

cool!

if you don't have itunes you can still go get it via their website here:>
http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_home.php

aug 24th
http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_dln.php?f=1228

and it's FREE :D

Bytehawk
08-27-2006, 03:40 PM
just had a look. It's cool. A little maya centric but cool.

oDDity
08-28-2006, 01:40 AM
It's interesting how that site had developed.
It used to be a little site with a community spirit and a philosophy of free training for all, run by buzz and a couple of friends, and now it's turned into a commercial training center. selling DVDs for hundreds of dollars, and advertising for people to 'make loads of money! become a 3dbuzz instructor!' Sign up here!'
Inevitable I suppose. You spend a while building up visitors by being kind and generous, and when you have their confidence and trust, you get the shears out and fleece them for every molecule of wool they have.

cresshead
08-28-2006, 04:56 AM
woof

oDDity
08-28-2006, 06:11 AM
Yes, nice - as long as they're getting paid for it. I dont' think the term applies when you're doing it for financial gain.
There is a difference between starting off with a commercial project in mind, and starting off with altruistic intentions and then somewhere along the way thinking 'hey, I could make good money out of this' and then completely changing your ideaology.
Of course, maybe that's what he'd planned all along.
You'll notice all the free tuts on the site are ancient, for old game editors no ones uses any more and old verison of apps. Now they spend all their time making commercial DVDs and doing deals with game publishers to make exclusive tutorials to ship with game editors, etc.

stevecullum
08-28-2006, 06:38 AM
I remember Buzz doing lots of great free tutorials and some Lightwave ones made it on to the 3D World cover disc.

However, it does appear now that he's mayatastic and charging for new tutorials. I guess his operation grew beyond being able to offer free stuff, but at least his training is comprehensive, fun and good value.

cresshead
08-28-2006, 07:32 AM
woof

John Jordan
09-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Cresshead,
oDDity is merely pointing out that at one time it sold as a site on an altrusistic mission. That is, free tutorials were offered--I got a few LW tutes there myself. Buzz's philosophy at the time was "Just contribute by being a member and help someone out in the forums." Buzz would even send tutes on CD to people who had slow connections. All he asked for in return was a donation of a pack of CDs etc. to cover that expense. Then, they developed a points system because they said people were showing up, taking the tutorials and leaving nothing in return. All the while no new Lightwave tutes were being developed (in fact, I would check back from time to time because I didn't have a problem with the points program--but after awhile I noticed they were abandoning LW for other programs). About this time Buzz and Co. began focusing on Maya and MotionBuilder. At this time, the preceeding philosophies are gone and it's a pay to play (at least part of it is).

You are right--There is nothing wrong with this. Its how many businesses operate (including drug dealers "The first one is free."). If the tutes are worth paying for, then more power to them and good luck.

I wish Buzz and Co. every success but I began to sense that this was the plan all along. Once membership reached critical mass, it was time to start charging. I rarely go there myself anymore.

cresshead
09-02-2006, 07:11 PM
woof

John Jordan
09-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Who said we aren't pleased? We just don't care.
And you're right. It's the same with some other sites you mention although you are comparing apples and oranges with Kurv and others. I never knew Kurv was once a totally free site, giving content away and simply hosting a site for users to share information. If I have that wrong, please, someone set me right.
But like I said, nothing wrong with charging for it. Everyone has to make a buck. And hopefully the tutorial authors are getting some as well.
I imagine it would also be fair for many wives, after many years of marriage, say to their husbands, "ya know...I can't get by on our old arrangement. You're going to have to start coming across with some money or I'm going to have to cut some services. It's nothing personal--it's just business."
While I wouldn't agree with oDDity that it's "fleecing" I think it's less than honest to start a site that builds itself SOLELY on the goodwill and actions of it's members and only later realize "Whoa, this costs too much! Didn't see that one coming!" What kind of business is that naive? Not many, because you are right--it's a common business model today.
I'm not sure why you have a problem with that position since it's based in facts. But I concede, it's not just Buzz. And I restate, I wish his business all the luck in the world. We need more sites for 3D and video, not less.

cresshead
09-02-2006, 09:10 PM
edited above posts as it serves no purpose and is unproductive to continue such a meaningless conversation.

oDDity
09-03-2006, 04:41 AM
Actually, Gnomon is going the other way, they started of as commercial, and now they have started giving away free video tuts, or at least Alex Alvarez is.
All on maya, of course, but they are very good, very long, and very in-depth.
I wish there was this sort of thing for Lightwave layout.

cresshead
09-05-2006, 11:29 AM
http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_dln.php?f=1235

worth watching....like worth $$$

oDDity
09-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Are they paying you or something?

Bytehawk
09-05-2006, 01:35 PM
i watched them a few times. They're quite good really.

Now if they could talk just a little about lw....

oDDity
09-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Yes, but the point of them seems to be that they browse CG sites to save you the trouble, but guess what - I enjoy browsing the myself, I don't need the news condensed for me.

cresshead
09-05-2006, 02:06 PM
to oddity> no... and a Q. back to you.....is anyone paying you?

and if you don't like the news they bring ansd would prefer to browse yourself...it's still a fiarly free world...so go for it!

aslo if you have bothered to watch today's newscast you'll see that the future of their news cast is to be educational as well as just the basic news....thats's why i pointed out that people may just want to take a look...and they will talk more about lw if the future prizes on offer come from newtek, kurv, simply lightwave or spinquad...

Darth Mole
09-05-2006, 03:55 PM
And once again a perfectly pleasant and well-meaning forum thread descends into name-calling and cynicsm thanks to the ray of sunshine called oDDity.

Man, am I tired of your relentless, dreary, holier-than-thou opinion-mongering.

cresshead
09-05-2006, 04:06 PM
cheers darth...seems our friend is **** bent on disruption..he even followed me over to cgtalk to voice his opionion...still he's fre to do so and we're free to ignore him as well!

i hope his temperment mellows...i really do..i wish he were a bit happier!
would be be nice ..just for a change!

he oddity...please say something nice!...please!...go on!
i know it's in you somewhere!

oDDity
09-05-2006, 04:06 PM
You've come to the wrong place if you don't want to hear opinions.
That's pretty much all you get on an internet forum.
BTW, I like fluffy little kittens.

You've got some nerve cresshead, you've completely hijacked a gallery thread in the CG choice gallery over there with a big argument about whether men really went to the moon or not. You could easily have taken that to PMs, since there's only the two of you involved in it.
Some of us get into the choice gallery on merit, we don't have to smeak in by the back door. So I didn't follow you anywhere.

Darth Mole
09-05-2006, 04:26 PM
I guess my problem is that your opinion comes over as FACT, and - this thread is a great example - really wasn't prompted or required.

You always steer stuff towards a debate or argument. I guess that's your prerogative. But recently I've been happily reading some threads which you have sent veering off course. It's annoying and not always entertaining.

oDDity
09-05-2006, 04:31 PM
It's not my fault. I just happen to have opinions that most people disagree with, and they want to make it clear they disagree with me.

KillMe
09-05-2006, 04:56 PM
i have to say i agree with oddity on this - sure if you want a quick synopsis of the 3d industry news then this is worth watching but as a whole i think 3dbuzz has definatley traded on there so called free content way to much - its a long time since the site was free

now if you want anything of any interest be it even jstu watching the 3dbuzz tv you have to be a member sponsor - and the free tuts that are availble are all old and outdated and at a very basic level so only the most nooby of noobs will find it of any use and could most likely find out by themselfs by playing with the app for the time it takes to watch the vid

now the site is a complete commercial operation and the welcome page shouts second hand car saleman to me - "YOU too could earn thousands of dollars if you just sign up here and become a member sponsor"

and as for there coverage of lw 9 i saw the daily news where they mentioned it and the slagged it and it was clear they had never even seen it let alone used it

nah 3dbuzz, and i used to be a fan of the site in teh early days, has deterioated and i think people who continue to be taken in by there claims of "free distrubution of quality training" are gulible and naive

well thats my 2 cents anyway - watch the broadcasts if your interested in getting a run down on the 3d news ( slightly biased new though if you ask me ) as its one of the few free things left on the site

RudySchneider
09-05-2006, 05:25 PM
I'm primarily a lurker on the LW forums, because I'm a new, hobbyist-type user, with little, if anything, to contribute to "the art," as it were. However, being a lurker, it never ceases to amaze me the effect oDDity has on the rest of you. Why is it that you continue to let what is clearly "his opinion" have such an influence on your emotions? And why, for the sake of "the art," do the rest of you allow yourselves to let each thread in which he states "his opinion" to degenerate into meaningless nothingness?

It seems there are better uses for the forums, not the least of which is all of your time.

Just an observation...

cresshead
09-06-2006, 01:15 PM
oddity i have yet to read anything by you that has a positive slant other than you like fluffy ***** cats...which is nice!
you appear to be made of anti-matter!!...if you are, that's very cool btw!

live long n prosper!