PDA

View Full Version : Multithread Open GL and 8 Core support?

kyleprometheus
08-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Hello Mac Lightwave Users.

My first post.

I read over on www.insidemacgames.com and on Macworld about multi-threaded Open GL and that it can dramatically boost framerates by almost double.

Just wondering if Newtek was intending to offer this functionality in future Lightwave updates. There is a chance Apple is holding back this functionality until Leopard ships...but it IS, apparently, there in Tiger for Mac Pros.

Also, with Clovertown, due early 2007(?), there is a chance that the next Mac Pros will be 'Octo-Core'. What kind of performance boost will it give 3D rendering with Lightwave? (Seeing as 3D seems to need every bit of CPU power you can throw at it...)

This is the kind of Mac I'm waiting for/will be able to afford in early 2007.

Has anybody got a 3.0 gig Mac Pro and seeing awesome render times?

Curiously yours,

Kyle Prometheus :thumbsup:

Chilton
08-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Hello Mac Lightwave Users.

My first post.

I read over on www.insidemacgames.com and on Macworld about multi-threaded Open GL and that it can dramatically boost framerates by almost double.

Kyle Prometheus :thumbsup:

Hi Kyle,

The Universal Binary version of LightWave is still under development, so I can't give you any official times yet.

However, I can tell you that there is no way we could give you any information regarding multi-threaded OpenGL, as it would violate our NDA with Apple, as would anyone who discusses this before Leopard ships.

-Chilton

Weepul
08-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Also, with Clovertown, due early 2007(?), there is a chance that the next Mac Pros will be 'Octo-Core'. What kind of performance boost will it give 3D rendering with Lightwave? (Seeing as 3D seems to need every bit of CPU power you can throw at it...)
LW presently can use up to 8 threads for rendering, so it'd be a perfect match. :) With LW9 and the Perspective Camera, no bit of power would be wasted, as threads are reassigned when one portion of the image has finished rendering.

With the Classic Camera (or versions of LW pre-9), which is sometimes much faster than the Perspective Camera (of course, opposite scenarios exist), threads aren't reassigned, so if one area of the image finishes faster, its CPU doesn't get any new work until the next pass. Therefore, it's sometimes possible to get a speed bump with using more threads than processor cores - but that's not to say the Classic Camera with 8 threads on 8 cores would be any slug. :D

I wouldn't expect to see render speed be perfectly proportional to the number of cores used, but it's close. With the same clock speed and architecture, doubling the cores will nearly double the render power.