PDA

View Full Version : soul reaver

SEMIRO
06-06-2003, 12:19 PM
has anyone played the soul reaver game?

well the main guy has a cool plasma sword that i want to make. maybe with some kind of particle effect but i really dont know.

please someone help me on this cuz there aint no tutorials of this kind.

theres a pic showing the sword attached.

please please help

Mylenium
06-06-2003, 02:35 PM
Looks like a texture (which it would possibly be in the game anyway). Should be real simple using a weightmap, some fractal noise and gradients... Particles would be possibly the wrong way due to lack of control (both the look and behavior [it's a shame there are no particle expressions in LW])

Mylenium

SEMIRO
06-07-2003, 07:54 AM
yeah it looks more of a particle system than a texture though

cuz in the game it bahaves like its fire.

can anyone else help?

Mattoo
06-07-2003, 02:51 PM
Yeah, it's most likely a particle effect. Quit possible an additional glow overlay aswell.
I'd create the shape of the sword (a narrow wobbly cone) as polys and then set that to emit particle sprites from the surface normals - setting the object shape invisible to camera.

There's a few other ways I can think of, some quite a bit simpler and most likely what they used for the game.
It's hard to tell without seeing it animated - which I have but it was quite a while ago.

SEMIRO
06-07-2003, 03:09 PM
how exactly would i do that.. im a complete retard when it comes to particle effects. i dont know how to make an object emmit particles and stuff.

please tell me how (detailed)

thanks

Mattoo
06-07-2003, 04:06 PM
It's all in the manual - chapter 17.

It wouldn't do anyone much good just to type out what is already in the manual, it's really not that complicated.

riki
06-07-2003, 07:40 PM
I'm just guessing that maybe you need to make the glowing sword section as previously described and then composite in the trailing motion blur.

SEMIRO
06-08-2003, 02:41 AM
Can i apply a motion blur to just one object in a scene?

riki
06-08-2003, 05:44 AM
I think you'll have to do a second render. There's a few Light Saber tuts floating around that might have some useful tips

http://www.morten-moen.net/tutorials/lightsaber/lightsaber.html

riki
06-08-2003, 08:35 AM
here's another http://cedar.he.net/~jackal/tutorials/lw_sabers.htm

Red_Oddity
06-10-2003, 07:36 AM
How about using lazypoints (inertia plugin) or Motion Designer.

As for the rendering, you definatly want to do this in a seperate pass and tweak in post.

SEMIRO
06-11-2003, 11:10 AM
Well it is a firey effect i am going for so im gonna have to try and play around with particle effects until i find the right combination of parameters to make such a weapon.