PDA

View Full Version : Why Cruddy QT render from upgraded v 8.5?

08-26-2006, 09:21 AM
In rendering a quicktime movied from version 8.5 with its expanded anti-aliasing options, the individual frames in the LW imageviewer look excellent, BUT I get a *CRAPPY* QT image. Same camera properties, render & output options in v.8.0 yielded fine QT movies that matched the image viewer files. This did not happen before I upgraded from v8.0. Can anyone tell me what Iím doing wrong?

I'm running my fully-licensed copy of LW 8.5 on an iMac G5 w OS 10.3.9 with Quicktime Pro v6.5

I took a college course - spent 50-60 hours per week(!) learning LW for a semester course - then a year later I was hired by the same college to teach the course. I've been using lightwave 2 years, working w computer graphics 20+ years, 3 yrs @ Atari, 3 yrs @ The Learning Company, etc. ó I know a few things, but there are obviously some gaps... I don't know what to tell the students about *this* problem, that's only shown up since the upgrade from v.8.0. The school is using LW v 8.0 running on G4 Macs with 0S 10.4, but I expect upgrades this year. I returned to Hampton Roads, VA 3 years ago, and I don't know any local professional Lightwave users.

dsol
08-26-2006, 12:16 PM
can you post a screen grab from your quicktime movie so we have something to go on?

What settings are you saving the quicktime with (codec etc.)?

08-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the Hint. I'm attaching a single .pdf file showing both the properly rendered frame with antialiasing and the crummy Quicktime version.

I'm running my fully-licensed copy of LW 8.5 on an iMac G5 w OS 10.3.9 with Quicktime Pro v6.5

In the camera properties window I'm selecting :
Width 720
Height 480
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 0.9
Antiialiasing > Classic, Low
Reconstruction Filter > Classic
Output Quicktime movie format is set to :
DV/DVCPRO -NTSC
Quality > Best
fps > 29.97

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

David March, Animator & Fiddler
3220 Club House Circle
Virginia Beach, VA 23452 USA

[email protected]
www.davidmarch.net

cell phone 757 581 1082

___mats___
08-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Hi David -

It looks like frame rendered footage interpreted as fields.

I cant remember of the top of my head is the DV export codec has any options to override exporting as fields, I gather you are rendering this for DVD output? you would need to render in LW as fields, and then export the QT as fields as well (same field order)

Thats what that distortion looks like to me?

let me know - thanks

dsol
08-26-2006, 02:25 PM
aha! now I've seen that still there's a simple answer :)

the DV codec supports a low-quality viewing mode for fast playback on slower machines. That's what you're seeing at the moment. If you have quicktime pro, open the movie properties, select the video track and under the "visual settings" tab, tick the "high quality" box. There's a freeware applescript out there to do this automatically as well (though I can't remember off the top of my head where I saw it)

If you're rendering for final output I'd recommend using the animation codec - it's much better quality (uncompressed) - so long as you have enough drive space. Alternatively Photo-JPEG at 90-100% quality is excellent too and plays back in realtime on just about any machine released in the last 5 years!

androidmaker
08-26-2006, 02:30 PM
use sorasan 3 for your movie format.

dsol
08-26-2006, 02:40 PM
use sorasan 3 for your movie format.

Definitely not for final render output though! - if you're planning on then transcoding to other formats like DVD, for example.

Sorenson 3 is a final-stage playback codec for web/CD-ROM video - good if you want to put video on the web for viewing - though it has been utterly surpassed by the awesome H264 codec in quicktime 7. H264 is amazing :)

08-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks to all who answered. A great weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I followed the instructions of Mr. Dan Sollis and found that by configuring the setting of the Quicktime Player as he indicated, the quality of the image was displayed as it had been rendered.

Yahoo!

dsol
08-27-2006, 07:09 AM
You're welcome! Just glad to be of assistance. I do a lot of work with video (final cut and after effects) and it's a very common problem.

Just so you know though - even though it looks cruddy by default, if you load that QT into other video apps it will use the best quality mode for any rendering. So making a DVD from it in iDVD or Studio Pro will give you a nice looking version to show to people! just remember to do a bit of flicker fixing and clamp the Luma & Chroma to NTSC safe levels if you're going to be watching it on a TV :thumbsup: