PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about my virus protection.

lilrayray77
08-25-2006, 09:36 PM
I am a little concerned about the quality of my virus protection, and being that i want my system running as fast as possible for lightwave, I want to be safe. Right now I am running yahoo's AV and AS. My question is, does it work? Is it any good? And is it really just mcafee/norton with a diferrent interface? Also I have read some good things about AVG and avast! How do these two compare.

Jim_C
08-26-2006, 06:57 AM
Hello lilrayray, :)

I use the free edition of AVG. It has the smallest footprint and resource usage of any I have used. Has worked flawlessly in autoupdates and auto scans, has an email filter and is all around really good.

Before I had it running all the time, I had the dreaded Norton. Once Norton found a virus, so I scanned and it deleted it, but since I did have AVG installed , just not running full time, I thought maybe I should run a scan with it.
It found 3 other viruses that were spawned or linked to the one Norton found.

It was then that I uninstalled Norton and went with AVG full time.

Never used avast.

Jim

lilrayray77
08-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Thanks. by the way, what anti spyware do you use?

Jim_C
08-26-2006, 07:23 AM
For real time protection, I just use the anti-spyware options that Zone Alarm Pro has built in. And it runs an anti-spyware scan every night. Seems plenty strong enough and I understand the options. Which there are plenty of.

I've found the real time protection of some of the dedicated anti-spyware apps, is too strong, oppressive and/or hard to configure.

About once a week or two, I update and run scans with etrust Pest Patrol($30),Spybot(donation), Ad-Aware(free) and Windows Defender(free).

Sometimes they find stuff, sometimes they don't depending on where I've been. ;)

I also want to throw a shout out for an option in Windows Defender called Software Explorer. Its a great utility that shows and explains anything on your computer that is running, set to run at startup etc. Like a much much more powerful version of msconfig. Defender is worth getting just for that.
I attached a pic of it's interface. Easier to show than tell.

Jim

lilrayray77
08-26-2006, 10:40 AM
I have decided to try avast! and WinDef. They both seem to be pretty good, so Ill hope they protect me.

Penforhire
08-27-2006, 09:26 PM
My free AVG install found a trojan that Norton AV did not. Good enough for me.

lilrayray77
08-28-2006, 08:26 AM
yeah I like avast so far. Just, it is hard to know that it is working since it hasnt picked up anything yet, but I guess that is a good thing. The only thing that troubles me is that it doesnt seem to be able to scan "password protected" archives.

zardoz
08-28-2006, 11:00 AM
I've used Norton for years, and now I'm using NOD32...I installed it some time ago in my old laptop celeron 1800 and it is back to life. I've installed NOD32 in my other machines and it is really good.

Signal to Noise
08-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Fwiw, the latest Consumers Report has a rundown on the 'best' AV apps. #1 spot goes to BitDefender (http://www.bitdefender.com/ca/). Admittedly I still rely on Norton but am considering trying some other alternatives as well.

lilrayray77
08-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Ive heard that NOD32 is the best, but I am trying to stick to the most "cost effective" solution.

ShawnStovall
08-28-2006, 12:10 PM
If you are still wondering about spyware protection Spyware Doctor (http://www.pctools.com) is really good. I was using the default protection that came with the internet service and once I switched Spyware Doctor found over 1,000 infections!(by the way I'm not the only one using this computer)

BloodQuest
08-28-2006, 12:15 PM
So, if we go ahead and ditch Norton - I use SystemWorks - is there something with the protected recycle bin functionality?

That's the #1 thing I'd miss.

Simon

habaņero
08-28-2006, 01:59 PM
I use Kasperskyīs suite on computers that contain valuable data, avg on ones that doesnīt. It has a footstep but nothing like Norton, and it makes sense that it does too since it checks absolutely everything that goes into the computer. Was the single software to correctly identify (and have in their lists) the bugger the one time I really got a virus, and removed it successfully. Avg detected ths virus but couldnīt beat it.

Their Firewall makes alot of sense too, although it can be a little agressive on local networks with computers that use wifi. I have btw "repaired" 6 notebooks this last month, simply by removing norton. The worst one ran at 1/3 of its speed for real, CPU benchmark in sisoft sandra and it clocks in just below a PIII 700, then nothing but removal of norton and its a P4 3.2 ghz again ...!

I use Spybot for spyware protection although not their teatimer system settings thing as kaspersky takes care of that and it seems a bit of an overkill anyway. But I have good and a lot of experience with it, in the worst case it might need to be run from safe mode but I never encountered something it couldnīt then handle. It can be manually updated as well (to computers wihtout internet) simply by copying the updated program folder onto the un-updated offline one.

lilrayray77
08-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Anyone know if zone alarm is any good? I have a firewall in my router, but one cannot have to much protection.

ShawnStovall
08-28-2006, 07:15 PM
I think firewall for your router is different then the firewall for the internet.

dballesg
08-29-2006, 01:53 AM
I am a little concerned about the quality of my virus protection, and being that i want my system running as fast as possible for lightwave, I want to be safe. Right now I am running yahoo's AV and AS. My question is, does it work? Is it any good? And is it really just mcafee/norton with a diferrent interface? Also I have read some good things about AVG and avast! How do these two compare.

Hi,

I use avast here because is the only one it really worked for me under Windows XP Pro 64 bits. I used before AVG, but looks like their updates are not so frequent as Avast.

Norton and MCafee are out of this world! :( I mean they take so many resources from your computer!! :( I even remember on my old job the Norton Firewall was preventing a Screamernet manager to work. And it was really difficult to configure.

I use the firewall on my router, and windows one, both work fine for me.

And for Spyware the SpyBot Search and Destroy! :)

Best regards,
David

Jim_C
08-29-2006, 05:48 AM
Anyone know if zone alarm is any good? I have a firewall in my router, but one cannot have to much protection.

Your router should have a built in hardware firewall, but you should also have a software firewall also. I read many good reports on ZA before I installed and I have been very very happy with it. It will advise you of everything going in and out if you like it to. And has very nice built in privacy/anti-spyware tools.

lesterfoster
08-29-2006, 07:22 AM
Has any one tried DeepFreeze.?

http://www.faronics.com/html/deepfreeze.asp

I have been using it for over 3 years now. It freezes your drive <C>. Nothing can be saved to drive <C> unless you allow it. It works by each time you start your computer. It starts up the same as it was the last time that your computer was thawed out. It is a lot like a automatic backup and restore program. I also use Zone Alarm. I like that program too.

Darttman
08-29-2006, 08:32 AM
So many options.
I think it all first starts by what apps you use and how ya surf. But still if you are swapping files they need to be scanned. I always use a seperate box to scan things through then bring it into the rest of the network. Like the rest said a good firewall (hardware) is a must and configure it properly too.

Norton and McAfee root themselves deep into the os and suck resources.

Companies offer online scans for free. It takes awhile longer but they do work.

btw Jim_C nice pooch

Signal to Noise
08-29-2006, 12:17 PM
If you have a router (you all should if you don't) and XP with built-in firewall then that's all you really need. No need to clutter your system with other software-based fw's.

Useful link:

http://www.grc.com/default.htm

Jim_C
08-29-2006, 12:57 PM
I will note, one advantage to a sw Firewall is (at least in ZA's case) you add fantastic crap stomping powers.

Zone Alarm has great 'privacy' features that can really knock out, pop ups, pop unders, flashing annoying ***** ads, active-X, java, cookie control etc.

Sometimes you can set things a bit too strong and fancy flash sites, etc won't load or show properly, but a quick uncheck will allow them.

Jim

ps Darttman, Right back at ya! :)

lilrayray77
08-29-2006, 03:52 PM
how much of a footprint does ZA leave?

Jim_C
08-29-2006, 04:08 PM
This machine is a p4 2.26 with a gig and a half of ram and right now ZA's 2 processes show 0 cpu and 15,268k & 44,916k of ram mem usage.

In comparison right now Firefox itself is using 35,000.

I notice no difference in machine performance with ZA on or off.

Not sure what else to point to..

Jim

lilrayray77
08-29-2006, 05:58 PM
cool, Ill give it a try

lilrayray77
08-29-2006, 06:00 PM
How much protection does the free version offer?

Jim_C
08-29-2006, 06:21 PM
Well according to this:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/comparison.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=ho_za

You get a firewall and that's it.

The added everything Pro gives you is worth 40 bucks.