PDA

View Full Version : when will we hear about v8 features?

scott_krehbiel
06-06-2003, 11:23 AM
Hi,
Can anyone give an estimate of when we might expect to
hear a feature list for version 8? Of course, I highly respect
Newtek for avoiding vapor lists, so I'm trying to be patient. :-)

Thanks
Scott Krehbiel

ingo
06-06-2003, 11:26 AM
I think its as always, we will see a feature list three month after LW8 is available in the stores ;)

papou
06-06-2003, 12:36 PM
i'm waiting the full feature list of lw7.5b too.
(what maintenance? what bug? what improvement?)

hrgiger
06-07-2003, 05:07 AM
They're unveiling it at Siggraph.

Exper
06-07-2003, 05:20 AM
Hoping they'll update the site after Siggraph as soon as possible. ;)

Bye.

kevman3d
06-07-2003, 09:33 PM
Well, I hope we don't see the feature list until just BEFORE the release, that way this forum can stay nice and civil for a while longer...

Too early just starts that 'I am a loyal customer, and if NewTek don't release 8 soon, I'm buying Max, Maya, XSI, POVRay, Truespace, etc' ranting when people don't get the product in their greasy little hands quickly enough... :)

amorano
06-07-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by kevman3d
Well, I hope we don't see the feature list until just BEFORE the release, that way this forum can stay nice and civil for a while longer...

Too early just starts that 'I am a loyal customer, and if NewTek don't release 8 soon, I'm buying Max, Maya, XSI, POVRay, Truespace, etc' ranting when people don't get the product in their greasy little hands quickly enough... :)

Doesn't exactly inspire confindence in their software to wait until the last minute. Let me know where my studio has to spend the money, sooner the better.

Chuck
06-09-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by amorano
Doesn't exactly inspire confindence in their software to wait until the last minute. Let me know where my studio has to spend the money, sooner the better.

Given that we're previewing the software in July that we plan to ship in the fourth quarter, we are hardly waiting until the "last minute" to let folks know what the features are. We have for a long time prior to this year had a policy of not announcing any information about updates that we had in development - we provided no information until the update was actually released. In this case we've provided advance information on when we'll let folks know what's in [8], and when we estimate we can ship [8].

scott_krehbiel
06-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Thanks Chuck,

I appreciate the schedule info. I want to mention that since the
deal with Digital Fusion is going on thru June, it'd sure make the
decision easier if I knew what new features I was buying.

Not that I'm questioning whether I'll upgrade, but the $500 price
tag does hurt a bit.

Are you allowed to say what areas of the program they've
focused on improving, without giving away the features themselves?

Scott

Chuck
06-09-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by scott_krehbiel
Thanks Chuck,

I appreciate the schedule info. I want to mention that since the
deal with Digital Fusion is going on thru June, it'd sure make the
decision easier if I knew what new features I was buying.

Not that I'm questioning whether I'll upgrade, but the $500 price
tag does hurt a bit.

Are you allowed to say what areas of the program they've
focused on improving, without giving away the features themselves?

Scott

We were hoping that folks would not feel that getting $2280US in software for $495US "hurt a bit." ;)

At the time we announced we were previewing the software at SIGGRAPH we also announced the main areas of emphasis. A number of news sites carried the info, and we've posted that in several of our forums here, including in Shows and Events:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3723

Development for this release of LightWaveŽ will focus on workflow and user interface improvements. In addition, LightWave [8] will include enhancements to character animation tools and game development tools, as well as improved integration with other production tools and with 3rd party add-ons.

Improvements are not limited to those areas, but those are the ones that will see the most emphasis.