PDA

View Full Version : crashing v9

rdxl9
08-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Hi,

I am having major problems with lightwave 9. Layout crashes at radom times. I have trouble getting items from layout to modeler, and after the layout crashed and I quit also modeler, if I then try to quit the hub, it say modeler and layout are still running even though I quit them already.

Maybe it is me, but even though I am saving often (to often) I still loose all kinds of changes when I try to reload the scene later. I think this whole process is more complex and unintuitive than it needs to be. Why can't I just save and have it save everything all the time?

I can't wait until modeler and layout are combined. I do have to say that I am sorry to have invested so much money in Lightwave. Fprime doesn't work with nodes, so I don't use that, but even using it without nodes it is slower than using it on 8.5

Very frustrated over here, lightwave is unusable especially for professional use

Darth Mole
08-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Yeah, the sad truth is the LW9 just ain't very stable. All I'm doing is loading some IFW2 nodal presets to see what they look like, and then fiddling with a few values - LW crashes every five minutes or so. Ruddy irritating little bar steward.

I really hope they can nail some of this down for 9.1 (sigh)

csgoss
09-02-2006, 06:43 AM
I have found Modeler crashes when you move polygons or even adjust the viewports, I thought version 9 was supposed to be an improvement on 8.5.

In my experience, Lightwave is possibly the most unstable out of all the software I currently use on the Mac - Adobe, Final Cut Studio, Macromedia etc.

IMHO Lightwave just crashes more often, maybe I am doing something wrong? But that is just the point, I have already lost confidence and start to wonder Is it the OS? Is it the Ram? Is it my Graphics Card? Is it the Drive? Is it my G5? Is it my Power Supply etc etc.... Probably not, because every other application seems to be running OK?

I also use FormZ 6 for Achitectural modeling, since its recent release it has been updated twice already! It is Rock Solid...

I like Lightwave and what is has to offer, but I would rather have improved stability than some extra modeling tool set or texturing feature...

avkills
09-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Turn the hub off...it is cranky still. 9 has been very stable for me without using the hub.

-mark

Darth Mole
09-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Not even using the hub - or does it still cause problems even though Modeller isn't runnning?

avkills
09-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Hmmm.. I also had to adjust the user privileges on the Newtek folder and contents as it seems the App needs read/write access to stuff inside there. I don't run as admin, so that was causing me lots of problems. I've also heard that older preference files can cause issues.

Do you still have the hub running?

-mark

toby
09-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Yeah, the sad truth is the LW9 just ain't very stable. All I'm doing is loading some IFW2 nodal presets to see what they look like, and then fiddling with a few values - LW crashes every five minutes or so. Ruddy irritating little bar steward.

I've had major crashes using 3rd party procedurals, maybe it's the IFW2 stuff.

Darth Mole
09-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Well, I have to admit it's way more stable with the hub out of the way. Had one crash compared to about five or six.

The hub will remain dormant until 9.x comes out. Maybe longer...

toby
09-03-2006, 04:47 PM
I've used the hub once or twice in the last 4 years, the workflow is fine without it, just a little different.

geck
09-04-2006, 07:09 AM
Can someone please explain to me why it is that Modeler and Layout can't talk to each other directly? Apart from Lightwave, I don't think I've ever used two apps that required a third to swap data.