PDA

View Full Version : extrude a path over time

parisgreen
08-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Hi all kind of basic lightwave question i've never been able to figure out. i attached a file of a ribbon i made by extruding a path. i'd like to extrude it over about 60 frames to make the ribon look like it's moving or growing along that path... in cinema 4d, you would just parent a box to a spline and adjust a key frame and kazam the object grows ... but i can't figure out how to do this effect in lightwave. can anybody out there help me? i tried the serpentine deformer but took to long to render and didn't look that good. also tried bump displacement ect. hopefully i don't have to set up a chain of morphs or bones cause that's beyond my skill level at this point.

munky
08-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Hi There,

how about "spline control"

If your ribbon is really thin then just use a "clip map"

One morph and a few bones wouldn't really be beyond you I think.

Fi's "bezier bend" find it on www.flay.com would do it as would steve worleys "hoser" ( bezier bend is free though)

The plugin "fertilizer" might do it. (flay.com)

and I would think that the plugin "shifter" would do it (flay.com)

hope this helps and I'm sure there will be a really simple method that I have forgotten or never knew about in the first place.

regards

paul

munky
08-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Hi again,

here is an example of bones and a morph, took about 5mins. check it out and if you need an explanation let be know ( although I am away for a week from tomorrow) Any way I'm off to make my boys some tea.

regards

paul

munky
08-25-2006, 01:06 PM
OOh arn't I keen,

sorry I completley forgot about Dstorms Trailer plugin

http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/

this really will do what you want as it deforms and animates an object along a motion path.

I'm off for a surf

regards

paul

Penforhire
08-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Might be a job for the Fertilizer plug-in (look it up on Flay)? The effect you describe is similar to examples I saw of that.

Wonderpup
08-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Fertilizer is perfect for this job. The morph through bones trick works but it's hard to get clean starts and ends with it. Hopefully when we have vertex level animation in layout this kind of effect will not depend on a third party plug in, good as it is.