PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Our Lightwave Systems!!

skean
08-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Hi people,
Some questions for you...any help would be greatly appreciated.
We're about to embark on a project which will be pushing the boundaries of our current hardware.
We are running lightwave on 2 x HP xw8000 crates with 4gb of ram both with nvidia quadro4 980 XGL graphics
cards. Lightwave has been struggling with recent tests we have done prior to working on this project so i am bascially lookin for some ideas/tips/suggestions on how 1. we could upgrade our current systems ( maybe a new graphics card etc ) or 2. A complete new set up.... basically anything that would help lightwave run optimally. Also we need to set up a renderfarm. We havent looked into screamernet yet but just wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on this or third party renderers. Any help on this or suggested points to consider would be great as we havent ever set one up before.
It would be brilliant to get some thoughts back on this as i'm feeling a bit out on a limb at the mo.
Thanks again
Al.

exit6
08-28-2006, 05:46 PM
I can't help you with your main LW boxes, but I am running a 6 machine render farm. I bought a bunch of really cheap Dells and they work great. ScreamerNet is pretty easy to use once you get everything configured and networked correctly. Just make sure your drive letters are consistent throughout the network. In my opinion, there's no need to go third party. Good luck --

dballesg
08-29-2006, 01:57 AM
Hi,

Here we have small renderfarm, and we use Butterfly Net Render as Screamernet manager to control it, mainly because is easy to instal, and let you manage many parameters of the scene before you really submit it to render.

And much more important, let you do Split Frame between your renderfarm, so if you need to render a huge resolution is the way to go. Screamernet cannot do Split Frame natively.

And Paul Lords support is great :)

As third party renderers you have FPrime and Kray, but to my knowledge FPrime cannot render in a network, but maybe a FPrime user can confirm that to you.

And Kray I am not sure either.

Best regards,
David

MiniFireDragon
08-29-2006, 12:37 PM
You need to define what you mean by pushing the limits of your current hardware. Are you saying that in hi poly scenes you have slow screen refreshing? Or is it long render times? Both?

skean
08-30-2006, 03:24 AM
Both really. Just not sure our graphics card is up to the job and I'm lookin to get a decent one.