View Full Version : Sega|animanium

zardrose
08-25-2006, 07:48 AM
SEGA|ANIMANIUM

http://www.animanium.jp/sa/sa_bscftr_02.htm

IKBoost Evolution ?

SP00
08-25-2006, 08:42 AM
hmm, anyone wants to try and translate that?

08-25-2006, 08:44 AM
It looks like they've improved on the IK handling, especially with pinning. It looks crisp and stable, unlike before where moving another part of the body would pull any pinned objects out of position. I wonder if is still only pose based though. Last time I used it IK pinning only worked from pose to pose, which is annoying to deal with. It forces you to do way too much micromanagement of the rig to prevent footsliding and other nastiness between poses.

I wonder why they pulled it from North America though... I remember there was a lot of griping about the initial price, performance and features when they first launched it. I think they marketed it really badly and really didn't seem to have a clear understanding of the market they would be competing in for 3d animation tools as Animanium was very lacking in the feature department - making it a deal breaker for me. Too bad too because it really was nice to work with for the most part. Some good ideas that unfortunately weren't well executed.

shrox
08-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Working at Sega in San Francisco was my favorite job I have had so far. I miss it...

WilliamVaughan
08-25-2006, 09:29 AM
This was big news in 2002-2003. It even won an award at 3D Festival. I didnt ever hear of any of teh studios adopting it tho. and it's connection to LW wasnt very good as well.

08-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Yeah I managed to get a character of my own into Animanium from LW. It was a nasty process. One of the main things that turned me away from it, moreso than the lack of animation features.

t4d
08-26-2006, 04:08 PM
it had a great Rig and really cool Keying /dopesheet options and a super face interface

but you can't buy it any more I tried afew months ago ...=(

cresshead
08-26-2006, 04:30 PM
what's your fav animation app?

toonafish
08-26-2006, 06:12 PM
looks like you can download a demo of the latest version here:

http://www.animanium.jp/sa/sa_link_top.htm

hijacker
08-27-2006, 04:53 PM
I think you can still get this through Turbo Squid. I got about 18months ago. They even updated the loader to 8.5 for me. I've since not had a chance to use it much - but what little playing with it that I did it work well.

Martyn

pawn707
08-27-2006, 06:05 PM
... I think they marketed it really badly and really didn't seem to have a clear understanding of the market they would be competing in for 3d animation tools ...

I was under the impression that this was an internal toolset that Sega decided to sell to the public. So they might not have cared that much if it didn't do so hot.

08-28-2006, 09:45 AM
That was my impression too. Especially since the initial retail price was $1500 usd =]

I gave it a good run at our studio to see if it would fit in our pipeline, and I liked the rig and keyframing tools as well, but that wasn't enough to justify the cost. I gave them a lot of feedback on what I felt would make it more appealing for us, and they improved some features about a year and a half later but still hadn't addressed some of the more important ones that a lot of 3d animation programs have by default. After 2 years they cut the price in half and also released a cheap home edition, but I guess by then people didn't seem to be too interested.

I'm interested in seeing if Reflex picks up where Sega dropped the ball.

www.digitalfish.com

shrox
08-28-2006, 10:24 AM
I was under the impression that this was an internal toolset that Sega decided to sell to the public. So they might not have cared that much if it didn't do so hot.

Ha! Sega care about something other than Sonic?