PDA

View Full Version : Mighty Morphin Problem child

Lottmedia
08-24-2006, 11:56 AM
K, so another quick question. If you've seen my glow thread you know the project. I'm animating this cartoon robot and I figured I'd do morphs for the hands instead of trying IK there. It works ok but it deforms the fingers a bit. Isn't there a way to turn off the deforming, or am I thinking something else?
Thanks again!!

Casey :cat:

Ztreem
08-24-2006, 04:57 PM
I don't know if you mean that you morph the bones or if you morph the mesh.
I would use bones in the hand, but you don't need to use IK just FK works. I would tie all the bones rotation to a null then you can rotate the null for closing and opening the hand.

connerh
08-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Another option would be to rig the hands, and then use sliders to control how opened to closed the grip is (I believe you can do this with sliders... I will test later on). This would keep you from have to hassle with hand motions all the time. If you want to go into more detail, then create a slider for each finger.

Ok, this method can be used very easily to control multiple morphs, but it can't be used to control hand motion. HOWEVER, I have a second method: Go ahead and rig the fingers and everything, and then send them to layout. Animate the hands as you'll want, put in as much detail etc as you need as you're only going to do this once. Now, use Relativity to drive the motion with a null or something... and if you want to keep your scene clean, then move the null off out of the way somewhere (make sure you don't move it in such a way as to cause Rel. to kick in), and then drive the motion of the null (I usually use the y-axis motion) with a slider, that way you never have to dig around in the object list/scene editor for the control null...

Lottmedia
08-24-2006, 06:23 PM
no bones. rigid mesh.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36224&d=1156430092

connerh
08-24-2006, 07:22 PM
You can still use bones for a rigid mesh, just assign a weightmap of 100% to the parts you want the bones to move.

Lottmedia
08-24-2006, 07:27 PM
yes, but isn't that just taking an unnecessary step?

connerh
08-24-2006, 07:48 PM
mm... maybe a bit, but it would ultimately give you more control than morphs. With morphs, in order to get nonlinear motion (ie, pivoting without distortion), you will have to make multiple morphs and blend them together. With the bones and weightmaps, you could just move the bones, which will make any kind of motion tweaking much much easier.

Ztreem
08-25-2006, 06:36 AM
with a mesh like that you could seperate all pieces as induvidual layers and animate it with just placing the pivot point in the right places. then you don't need any bones or morphs.

Lottmedia
08-25-2006, 07:23 AM
with a mesh like that you could seperate all pieces as induvidual layers and animate it with just placing the pivot point in the right places. then you don't need any bones or morphs.

That's how it's set up now, but I thought the morph would be easier. Maby not....

munky
08-25-2006, 10:14 AM
Hi There,

if you want to do this sort of thing with Morphs you will need to do it with "morph Targets" and use the "Multi Target/Single Env option. This morphs a single object through a chain of multiple targets. Object A has target B object B has target C etc.

It's on page 423 of the LW8 Manual.

or you could splashout on smartmorph!

regards

paul

Ztreem
08-25-2006, 01:13 PM
That's how it's set up now, but I thought the morph would be easier. Maby not....

Ok, I didn't understand that from the beginning, sorry.:D

I don't think it's easier with morphs, I would as I mentioned earlier control all the fingers rotation with a null or sliders to open/close hand and possible separate fingers. Easy to setup and easy to use, in my opinion easier than to set up morphs.:thumbsup:

connerh
08-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Yeah, as they're already splitup, just assign sliders to various parts of the fingers rotation.