PDA

View Full Version : Bridge Tool Docs

mmcglumphy
08-24-2006, 11:43 AM
The bridge tool docs (Construct > Combine : Bridge.) states the following:

In point mode, the tool works identically to LightWave's Split Poly tool, except with one convenient modification: you don't have to select the polys you want to cut ahead of time

But when I try to replicate the example in the doc, I get a dialog that states, "Bridge is not available in point mode".

Am I missing something?

mmcglumphy
08-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Oh, I found the thread about using the Connect tool instead. Works great. But, the Bridge docs should probably be updated.

ZeroPoint
09-09-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm having trouble getting bridge tool to work as advertised. I have 3 polys I'm trying to connect to 4 polys, but all I get is a twisted up mess. I saw your post about connect tool and searched the docs resulting in a long list (including bridge tool), but there is no "connect tool" listed. I suppose I'll have to check each item the search listed to find something about it. Either that or find the thread you mentioned. I'm dumbfounded as to why a search for "connect tool" doesn't list connect tool...

evenflcw
09-09-2006, 09:48 PM
There used to be only one function... called both Connect and Bridge. One is the internal name, the other is the name assigned to the function in the default menus. Very confusing stuff. In LW9 that one function became two, Bridge which bridges polygons and Connect which splits polygons (=creates edges) between selected points, edges or creates an edgeloop along the selected polygons. The old BridgeConnectWhateverThingamajig had a mix of almost the same features and so did a bit of both. I guess the manual just hasn't been updated to reflect the change.

Zeropoint, Bridge has an algorithm that tries to bridge in an intelligent way, but it will naturally fail sometimes and not produce what you would want. And beacuse it deosn't have any options there really isn't much to do about it. Or atleast I haven't used it often enough to bother coming up with a decent workflow for it. I wouldn't mind seeing a screengrab just to see what it failed at though.

Btw, it's just "connect" not "connect tool". The suffix "tool" is generally reserved to interactive function such as the Move Tool or Bevel Tool.