PDA

View Full Version : Can't edit in DV

Gouac
06-06-2003, 10:35 AM
I willing to edit in dv in TED with MainConcept codecs.
I captured my video in premiere for batch capture then import into ted.
When I'm changing in-out points or deleting blank parts in the storyboard, all the croutons are refreshing one after the other to the end.
for ten clips it takes 5 sec to finish this weird refresh.
I have to edit with hundreds clips.
I cant wait 1 minute after each edit points I make.
plz can u help me undersatnd and solve this?

p.s microsoft codecs do the same, but When I use the DV toaster codec or RTV there is no problem.

My system :
Win XP pro
bi-3.06 Xeon hyperthread
7505 chipset
4 Go ram
Sys :36 Go 15000 RPM cheetas
Video : 4 HD striped (80 MB/sec)

Gouac

Paul Lara
06-06-2003, 11:04 AM
What version of Video Toaster are you running?
(Look in the About panel)

Gouac
06-07-2003, 07:41 AM
The latest
built 3890.
pal

Paul Lara
06-07-2003, 01:35 PM
Screen refresh rates are, in part, the job of your graphics card.
What graphics card are you using?

Gouac
06-07-2003, 02:53 PM
Quadro 4 980XGL

The funny thing is when I re-compress in Mainconcept within TED
the resulting files don't give me any problem.
so, its not the codec, it's because I capture them in premiere!?!?

I found something new, when i drop the files from the bin to the timeline, TED is chopping some frames (random number) at the beginning and the end of each files..
I have to use "G" shortcut to restore the right length.

An other thing.
I want to try to uninstall mainconcept codec on my Pc but right after supressing it in "video codec property", Winxp restore the dll.

I'm doomed. ;-)

Paul Lara
06-07-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Gouac
TED is chopping some frames (random number) at the beginning and the end of each files..
I have to use "G" shortcut to restore the right length.

That is a feature.
It's not 'random', it's a precise 30 frames on both ends. ;)

Instead of hitting 'g' on all clips, go to Preferences and ToasterEdit TED Automatic In/Out offset and change to no offset.

That is there so you will have padded frames that you can perform transitions TO and FROM without either altering the length of your project, or shifting your in our outpoints.

Gouac
06-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Thanx paul.

about the refresh clip lagg, anybody had the same problem with video captured in premiere with Mainconcept or microsoft DV codecs ?

Gouac
06-08-2003, 10:54 AM
Ok...
nobody moves, I found a solution.
Prety weird.

I had installed Matrox Digisuite sofware codecs because I have a digisuite on an other edit station.
I just unistalled them and reinstalled them and...Tadaaaa, it's working, no more laggs.

Not really logical but...

Now I can start working for my first project on toaster2.
wish me luck and thank you.

Paul Lara
06-08-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Gouac
Not really logical but...

Actually, it IS logical, once you read the following, which is one excerpt among more than 35 pages of help and advice found in my Video Toaster Troubleshooting Guide (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/VideoToaster/Downloads/Troubleshooting_Video_Toaster.pdf)

To wit:

DV files lock up T[2] or run poorly
Symptom: DV files cause VideoToaster to lock up.
DV files run with very poor performance within the user interface.
Specifically: DV files without audio lockup the Toaster.

Recommendation: Do not use the VideoToaster on a machine that has the Matrox DV codecs installed. Uninstall any Matrox codecs on a Toaster machine. The Matrox DV codecs perform a modification to the default behavior of DirectShow that causes VideoToaster to function incorrectly. The source of this problem is based in the fact that the Matrox codecs replace the default asynchronous file reading filter with a custom filter that is used when single stream AVI files are used.

The Matrox filter appears to have a bug that can cause it to lock up when seeks are performed in certain circumstances (which occur with the VideoToaster file readers.) Matrox DV codecs allow applications that are unable to use the Microsoft DirectShow DV support to be able to read DV files. In other words, Matrox is providing legacy Video-for-windows support for DV provided by a number of different codecs.

Since the VideoToaster uses the new “DirectShow” technology that supersedes Video for Windows, it does not require the Matrox codecs to play back. The Matrox DV codecs are not required to use the VideoToaster; T[2] will load files written by the Matrox DV solutions without the codecs installed.

Gouac
06-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Strange, that's after re-installing the matrox codecs that Toaster worked properly.
how can I unistall matrox codec in WinXP, this Os won't let me erase it from the "video codec property".

even after the unistall process in "Add-Remove software"

Or

Is there a way to restaure the default behavior of DirectShow?

thx for spending time responding to my mistakes. :)