PDA

View Full Version : OT: My Website

adrian
08-24-2006, 10:49 AM
I know this is not really the place to ask, but I need some feedback on my website, specifically what do you think of the layout/colours, how fast does it load etc? Be as brutal as you want. Could I do anything else to make it look better?

http://www.bakersvideo.com

TIA :thumbsup:

cresshead
08-24-2006, 11:37 AM
yeah need a bit of a corporate 'touch' adding and the photo should be removed really...

also don't undersell logos...starting the description with 'another' really doesn't put it as a serious aspect to your production...make something out it and also if you going to have a logo are you need to say if you also design and develop logos and the animation....from 3d concept drawings/sketched into vector art and finally into fully animated 3d scenes...

you need some examples too....maybe showing the development stages...sketch, drawing, vecta artwork and 3d render...

design means you create a logo to fit in with your client..which you may just copy from what they have or create one from scratch with a fint type and or extra shape components.

develop means you take much longer to understand your clients needs and will probably make 3-10 logo's until they are happy...

good luck btw!

Silkrooster
08-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Not a bad site, I agree with Cresshead, go ahead show your stuff get your vector and raster work on your site. If you can do logos as your promoting show a few. Maybe a small flash image scattered through your site to bring your site to life. I see you are using some sort of server side scripting, (your menu is what tiped me off) make sure you add that to your list of qualifications. Knowing php or asp can really help land a web creation gig. If you know any client side languages add them as well.
Your photo, I am not sure about. Kind of gives me the impression of the 70's. Maybe remove that photo and add one on an about me page.
Move your home link to the menu.
Hope this helps,
Silk

Maxx
08-24-2006, 07:44 PM
I'd agree with the comments made so far - it's a good start, but some polish would go a long way. Just to point out a couple things - the div class "top-nav" and "top-nav-inner" below the header graphic doesn't actually link to anything. It looks like a navigation bar, but isn't - it actually took me a second to find the actual navigation, despite the "menu" (kill that, btw). This could be solved with a font choice - create images for your links and avoid font limitations but still set your nav scheme apart. Simply bolding the text and using all caps for the nav isn't enough "oomph" for the navigation when you've got your skill list in a traditional navigation niche. Also, little things make the difference in a lot of ways - the buttons on the Travel page are, quite honestly, horrific. They look like they were plopped in straight from Word clip art, and the round shape isn't reflected anywhere else in the site. In contrast, the TV treatment on the Slideshows page looks great. Also, drop the drop shadow from at least the tag line under the site name - the font's not beefy enough, the brown is too close to the shadow color, and the shadow is just far enough away from the text to allow the background color to bleed through the counters (the g's and o's specifically), so the text itself in that portion looks fuzzy and legibility is low. And put the home link in the left nav - adding it at the bottom of each inividual page at the bottom is odd.

Nice things I noticed - I like the sub-header images you've tailored to each page. The content of the images fits the content of the specific page and show thought. The color scheme of the main content portion is fine from my point of view, but the background color somehow doesn't quite jive with the overall.

All in all, it's a good start, but seems unfocussed. If you're going for (as neverko mentioned) a homey, western motif - go for it whole hog. Put wooden fence textures behind your top nav bar, and ditch the video lines in the sub-header images (sepia tone those suckers).

adrian
08-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the *very* thorough feedback people... much appreciated.

Hmmm, sounds like I have a lot to work on - but at least from the above comments I have a direction to aim for now. :)

cresshead
08-25-2006, 01:04 PM
i look forward to seeing an updater when you have edited it.

good luck

steve g

Signal to Noise
08-25-2006, 02:03 PM
I don't think you need to specify version numbers of the software you use or are experienced with. If "joe customer" is looking for someone do a particular project they will just want the final output and probably aren't familiar with the applications to begin with.

cresshead
08-25-2006, 02:25 PM
yeah listing apps is not all that helpful for clients....they just want pretty pictures!

adrian
08-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Having taken on board the comments here, I have decided that this website will be my online portfolio only, ie to showcase my skillset - something I can use when applying for graphics related jobs.

I will create an entirely different website for gaining clients. One of the things to come out of the feedback is that the site is not focussed - and indeed looking at it with the harsh criticism ringing in my ears, it isn't. It's trying to do two things at once - and it doesn't work.

Well, that's why I said please be brutal!

One other question: are the yellow/gold splodges used in the travel sections with caps of the movies horrificly bad like the blue flags? I'm thinking that I should replace them with the custom-made TVs as well.

adrian
08-28-2006, 10:49 AM
I've had a chance to do a small update:

1) Reduced the drop-shadow on the tagline
2) Replaced the "horrific" Travel Buttons with more complex custom-made graphics
3) Put a link to the home page on the left

Haven't had a chance to implement anything else yet; will do as soon as I get the time.

http://www.bakersvideo.com

Maxx
08-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Looks much better already - I like very much the country maps for the Travel section. (I wasn't trying to be an ***** with the "horrific", it was just obvious from other portions of the site that you could do better with 'em.)

The tag line still looks a bit fuzzy to me - might just be that my eyes are going, but try bumping the point size just a bit (1 or 2 point should do).

Other than that, keep up the good work and let us know when you've gotten more updates!

meatycheesyboy
08-28-2006, 12:32 PM
I just did a very quick run through and have a few small suggestions.

1. In the slideshows and the video editing sections, the black text under the videos have shadows. Black text is very hand to read when it has a shadow, especially a grey or black shadow.

2.When you click on testimonials, the layout shifts to the left a bit (using Firefox, didn't check in other browsers).

3. In the travel section, I really like the idea for the maps but think that they would look better without the bump texture. Also, the font under the maps looks like comic sans. Comic sans does not give off a very professional feel.

BTW, I think its great the way you are taking honest criticism and using it to better your end product.

Speedmonk42
08-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Overall I like the site.

I would lose your picture on the front though. Put it into a contact or about page.

The logo needs more contrast, and the title text too. It needs to punch out more.

The BVP under the logo isn't working.

I do like the site and its general layout very much

Brian Arndt
08-28-2006, 04:44 PM
I think its a pretty clean layout.

The HOME link disappears on the left column on the "Contact" page though.

The header text almost looks like it should be links. .maybe this should be made in a graphic instead of web text:

Weddings Corporate Events Animated Slideshows Travel Documentaries Logo Animation CGI for Video

adrian
08-29-2006, 10:43 AM
A small update once again (the last one for a few weeks as I'm off on my travels again on Thursday - woohoo :D :D )

* In the Travel sub-sections, the disgusting gold splodges have been replaced with my custom-rendered TV.

* The bar just below the main title has been changed to an image in the hope that it looks less like a navigation bar (only on the front page for now as I wanted to see what people thought first)

* I've changed the font and colour of the drop shadow under the website tagline which makes the effect much more subtle.

* Re-rendered my logo to cut out the BVP (I didn't think that worked either) - when I get back I will work on making the design much clearer. I was trying for a coin effect, obviously without much success! Although it does work well for animations on the TV.

I'm genuinely sorry that no-one liked my photo :( I thought it looked ok! Still, I have to take into consideration the fact that the overwhelming feedback was to lose it.

I will replace it on all pages bar the contact with a small animated Flash video (haven't had time to do that yet)

Even though this will now be my online portfolio, I still need it to look professional and slick, so the feedback I have got from here has been very valuable :thumbsup: