PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to export as a vector?

videorapture
06-06-2003, 09:06 AM
Aloha, and sorry to submit a base question, but they say that there are know stoopid kweschins, haha.
I've been using some modelled production skids made and rendered in Lightwave (I bow before your majesty). I've rendered out the skids and saved in a rastered format such as tiff or Adoobie psd and used these in a nice 4 page brochure compiled in InDesign. The digital printer that I sent the pdf's to had problems with the clip paths (which we eventually solved). He did ask a question I did not know the answer to. Is Lightwave capable of rendering out to a vectored format?

The more I play with it, the more I love it (Lightwave that is).

Rich O.

harhar
06-06-2003, 09:10 AM
no

meshmaster
06-06-2003, 09:19 AM
3d is really just a bunch of vectors in actuallity... a vector is just a line in the 3d mesh, mathematically speaking, but if you mean exporting an ai. or similar format, than no... but you could probably import from ai....

riki
06-06-2003, 09:39 AM
You could try the Swift 3D plugin
http://www.erain.com/

Heimhenge
06-06-2003, 05:01 PM
Corel Trace also provides a way to do this. It scans a rasterized image and produces a vector image. You can tweak the vectors after they're created, since the "vectorize" settings need to be optimized for the characteristics of the original. Obviously, B&W line art vectorizes the best. The higher the resolution of your original, the better the vectors.

harhar
06-06-2003, 05:42 PM
all current bitmap tracers produce ugly ugly images.

T-Light
06-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Macromedias Flash can do a half decent job of converting a raster into a vector image, I suppose it depends on how you want to use the output. I'm not familiar with 'indesign'.

LW's competitors are starting to get into the vector business, we might see a move in this direction with LW 8.0

videorapture
06-07-2003, 06:59 AM
Thanks for all of the posts! Don't want to spend alot of dinars at this point because the return isn't there. Just would be a nice convenience. I could probably do the vector thing in illustrator with some mesh gradients, but not as interactive as Lightwave of course! Model, render, raster and define clip path is the way I shall march towards my Digital Printing goals. At present I have increased by use of all of the functionality of LW greatly! Probably using 1.5% of its capability

Rock on

Rich

cresshead
06-07-2003, 07:18 AM
yeh maybe lw8 will have this feature...

though currently if it's for a still i'd drop the celshade render from lw into flashmx and use it's trace function.

*maya can output to vector/flash
*plasma can out put to vector/flash [mini 3dsmax app for designers]
*max4 had a freevecta3d plugin...not shipping with max 5 though! that coud output to ai or flash

steve g

wacom
06-07-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by T-Light
Macromedias Flash can do a half decent job of converting a raster into a vector image, I suppose it depends on how you want to use the output. I'm not familiar with 'indesign'.

LW's competitors are starting to get into the vector business, we might see a move in this direction with LW 8.0

Go with this method- I've used it and it works GREAT. You can use Flash 5 too...you don't need MX. Macromedia Freehand does and even better job. Now this is if you don't use too many gradients. To get the best results from Flash render the image with as many AntiAlias passes as possable, and use a Cel shader too. You can then export the flash file as an EPS or AI to Illustrator where you can select diffrent areas and add gradation if needed. Hope this helps...