PDA

View Full Version : Need good advice

Abe
08-23-2006, 01:33 PM
I think this will have been asked before,I am an amature, and just upgraded from LW8 . After reading the manual I think it's about time I also upgraded my PC before installing LW9.Please if you can, give the following avice,as I'm not a computer wiz kid like a lot of you seem to be.

Is it worth upgrading to xp pro from xp home.

Is it worth going to xp 64,just run LW9,I have read that there's not a lot of hardware or software to run on xp64.

Is it worth investing in a AMD 64 ie,AMD4600 system with LW9 in mind.

And lastly,what is the best Graphics card to run LW9 on,
is the nVidia 7950 a good card to use.The reason I'm asking is , Mesh computer's are offering a 2x 512Mb 7950 for less than a 7900GTX at 512.

Thanks for reading,I have just been made redundant,and have some cash from my redundancy and I have to get the correct system,as it will be some time before I can upgrade again.

Thanks for taking the time to read,and I hope ,give some advice.

umstitch
08-23-2006, 02:05 PM
..for the purposes of running lightwave, xphome works just fine..

you really dont need 2 graphics cards, but if you got the cash go for it, you need a big beefy monitor to justify that stuff tho..

but definately get yourself a dual core cpu, thats your upgrade in a nutshell.

:thumbsup:

bob anderson
08-23-2006, 04:01 PM
The major difference between xp home and pro is in the networking and remote access areas. Even if you are planning on using screamer net a lot, XP home is fine.

As far as 64 bit is concerned, yes there are lots of hardware and software incompatabilities, but having all that RAM availible etc sure is cool. When i set up my 64 bit machine, it is networked to several other workstations, so there does tend to be a bit of transfering files around, but the speed and convienience of dual 3.2 xeons on 64bits makes up for it IMHO.

Bob Anderson

fudini
08-23-2006, 04:28 PM
If You are using dual processors you'll have to get XPpro.
XP_Home isn't compatible with dual processors. (So I was told when I built my dual AMD box).

I don't know if this applies to dual core (hyperthreaded) processors.

f.

esper8
08-23-2006, 04:50 PM
I have a dual boot system with 32 and 64 bit versions of XP and both work fine with my dual core AMD processor, however, I have found that the 32 bit version of XP loads up a lot slower than the 64 bit version. Nearly (mostly) all major apps will work on XP 64, the biggest problems I have had is finding compatible hardware drivers, a good 64 bit virus checker and firewall to use AVG 7.1 (I tried the Zone Alarm 64 bit beta version and on a scale of 1 - 10, gave it a suck factor of 10,000)

Abe
08-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Thanks lads for the reply's, I like to use computers, but dont know a lot about them.Tried the archive threads last night but could nothing to help.

I am still unsure about which graphics card to choose,but at least now I am sure about the rest.

Thanks again for your time,the only other thing I hate is the installation I always have some problem?.Well done LW,the three small manuels are ton's better than the old brick ones.