PDA

View Full Version : Node displacement size problem

hstewarth
08-22-2006, 08:20 PM
I have a feeling this is a simple one - and I missing something.

I am attempting to do some node displacments with subdivided object and had issues with size with complex object and complex nodes - so I made it simple and did the crust sphere example in videos.

My problem is the size is always too small - but I can make it work - if I increase its opacity to 3000 or so. It simple nodes - crust 3d fractal, spot info and vector scale.

I am having troubles uploading screen shot - maybe later.

On side note, my dongle is being sent back to Newtek for swap out with USB tommorrow - so I will be on discovery edition for a while.

Weepul
08-23-2006, 12:32 AM
My best guess for the cause: displacements like that are in units of meters (not sure what happens if you've changed your default unit). If you have a large object, you need a stronger displacement to get the same proportional shift.

hstewarth
08-23-2006, 07:53 AM
I did change my units size - it is also likely a quite large object - is there good method to base of off percentage size of the object.

manholoz
09-02-2006, 07:12 AM
Why not put a multiplier vector node between the displacement and the other nodes? Multiply it by a lot (1000 maybe) and leave the transparency to a more coeherent number

hstewarth
09-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Why not put a multiplier vector node between the displacement and the other nodes? Multiply it by a lot (1000 maybe) and leave the transparency to a more coeherent number

I actual did that.

I thought about that but I wanting to know why the value is small.. I think it something to relation of size of the object.

manholoz
09-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Ummmm if it aint broke, dont fix it!

As I work in milimetres when not working with metres, the 1000 multiplier does not sound so far-fetched to me.

hstewarth
09-04-2006, 08:45 AM
I am actually working in SDK side of Nodes and deired a good understanding up this. It also appears to me there is also an understanding or problem with distribution of largest feature on macros - my guess is this is related to scale.

manholoz
09-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Could be, makes sense. I cross with those kinds of problems all the time, has to do with using software designed for imperial units, and using them for metric units. Always bizarre things happen with the scale. But I am sort of used to it by now, me and my trusty calculator.

So I agree with you, it could be a scale and/or unit thing.