PDA

View Full Version : DFX+ What is meant by 8 bit?

T-Light
06-06-2003, 07:48 AM
Regarding DFX+, what exactly does the term...

"8-bit expandable version of eyeon’s image processing software" mean?

As it's unlikely to refer to 8 bit color (256 colors) I can only presume it's regarding the alpha channel depth, (Although I'm more than likely wrong on this one).

As I haven't seen any other compositors from eyeon's competitors using this description in their literature, it seems a little weird.

Any clues? :confused:

Lightwolf
06-06-2003, 08:12 AM
Hi T-Light...
8 bit per channel, so if you think in terms of RGBA it is 32 bit.
The higher-end version, DF4.0, supports 8 bit, 16 bit and float, per channel.

Cheers,
Mike

T-Light
06-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Cheers Lightwolf,

As an aside, are any retailers in Germany offering the LW DFX+ upgrade bundle yet? None of the retailers in the UK seem to know much about it, let alone offer it :(

Lightwolf
06-06-2003, 10:25 AM
Hi T-Light,
what, do I look like an information booth ? :D ;) :p
I checked with my fav dealer yesterday, and there is no meantion of the bundle, nothing on NT Europe either.
I guess by the time they create a flash intro for the bundle, the offer will be over :rolleyes:
Cheers,
Mike

T-Light
06-06-2003, 10:35 AM
It's an awfull thing to say Lightwolf,
but I have a gut feeling you might just be right.

Think I'll start calling in some favours from friends on the other side of the pond...

Thanks again.:D

Lightwolf
06-06-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by T-Light
It's an awfull thing to say Lightwolf,
*looking up innocently* Me, I never say awful things ! :o

Cheers,
Mike :p

Doug Nicola
06-17-2003, 09:28 AM
A little more info from the DFX+ online help:

"DFX+ processes images at 8 bits per color channel, or 32 bits per pixel total. This color depth is appropriate for video, multimedia and basic film applications. DFX+ can load Cineon, DPX and HDRI images, but cannot process or render at the higher color resolutions possible with these formats.

To process images at 16 bit per channel of floating point color depths you should use eyeon Software's Digital Fusion, which is optimized and designed to manipulate film and HDRI images at higher color depths."