PDA

View Full Version : Large scale printing (Need help and advice!)

3djab
08-22-2006, 12:55 PM
I have modeled a balcony that will be composited onto a photo. This photo will be very hi-res due to the fact that it will be printed at 24 feet wide by 8 feet high. (We're trying to give the viewer the impression of what the view will be like from this particular condo unit.)
I'm basically looking for some advice before the final photo arrives.
So, here are a couple of questions...
1) Do I create a plane 24' x 8' in my Lightwave scene, apply the photo to this plane, and then render it?
2) Do I render the balcony by itself and alpha-channel it onto the photo?
3) Depending on which way I render, what resolution (settings) would I use so that it prints properly at the 24' x 8' size?

I have some ideas on how to go about doing this, but I thought I would post here to see if anyone had any tips or experience in this process.
Thanks in advance.:help:

kiwi dave
08-22-2006, 05:00 PM
I have done something very similar in the past. I rendered my scene with the image in the background, and with an alpha. Then if you need to move the photo for whatever reason, you can tweak it in photoshop.

It will pay to check with the output bureau what resolution they require. For something that big, it may only need to be 72 - 100dpi at actual size, but this will depend on their equipment. Then simply work out the pixel dimensions in photoshop, enter those into your camera properties, hit render, and maybe go and run some errands.

Dave