PDA

View Full Version : Need a Screamernet Overhaul

dballesg
08-22-2006, 06:39 AM
Hi,

In first place I am going to tell why I am asking for an overhaul of Screamernet.

I am testing the pre-release of xStream, and the last two months I've not been able to render on our renderfarm a project due to problems with this plugin.

But Screamernet doesn't help me here either. Even when I use the new -L option to log the Screamernet activity to a file. Sometimes is the scene is simple xStream write a series of errors on the Screamernet window that I can log, but with my original scene that doesn't happen.

My company as well has been forced to buy Butterfly net Render to manage the big renders on screamernet, on first place easy to setup, second one ROCK solid, and easy to update and maintenance. And xStream it is nt working on this configuration either (only with really simple, simple scenes). And I know that is an e-on problem that I reported to them.

So I thought due that now LW 9 showed us a quite good screen with data about the render options, times and that, why not put a DEBUG mode in Screamernet that tell us, how many objects, images, plugins are loaded, how much memory are taking, if there is any error (Screamernet related, like plugin file not found, etc) to help us to debug the correct setup of a renderfarm, or at least find out why something it is not working on a node and that.

I think it would save a lot of time have options like that implemented.

Best regards,
David

dballesg
09-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Hi,

Looks like no one saw this thread! :)

So I have a more technical plugin programming question:

e-on is making xStream print some messages telling what the plugin is doing during a Screamernet render, using printf (that has helped to catch up a few bugs). That messages are not recorded usig the new log feature in Screamernet -l. I think is because the printf writes on the cmd.exe window and Screamernet doesnt like that.

I remember that you can print messages from a plugin during Screamernet session, but I cannot find it how to do it on the SDK help, so I can tell it to e-on and see if between everyone we can see why the xStream it is not working on certain wierd cases.

Still wanting that debug mode that tell the user what plugins are loaded, how much memory are taking and such. I think is really a TIME SAVER to setup renderfarms and see what is happening. Of course the debbug mode it is only useful if it can be enable on Scremaernet throug command line like -b or something like that.

Come one Newtek (Chuck?, Deuce?), Screamernet it is completly Lightwave render Engine related. Animations without a renderfarm are like coffe without milk!!!! :(

Best regards,
David