PDA

View Full Version : What's the best platform to run lightwave on and...

apocalpsedude
06-06-2003, 06:40 AM
in my particular case (which I will will explain below) is there any point moving away from Mac.

Ok so I'm a graphic designer / illustrator working as part of a 9 man team within a big company with our own printers. All of our designers and repro folks use macs.
The majority of my time these days is spent creating static Illustrations in Lightwave although I still work in conjunction with the other guys on other projects some of the time.
It was suggested that maybe I should get a silicone graphics workstation to do lightwave stuff on.
The question is would this be benificial to me (and would I have compatability issues?) or am I best just getting a brand spanking new G4?

meshmaster
06-06-2003, 08:14 AM
and it runs smooth, but if you don't have any windows installs and are running all sorts of mac apps, I don't see any reason for you to move from that platform....

stevejh101
06-06-2003, 09:46 AM
There's no need to change platform.

I work in a Mac environment and I use Lightwave predominently for print.
The pc is generally faster for 3D work but when you're rendering overnight or the weekend for hi-res images it doesn't really matter.

I'm running LW 7.5 on a dual 1.4 with 2 GB Ram and LW works very well.
I would suggest getting a GeForce 4 card though, as I had all sorts of problems with the Radeon.

Lamont
06-06-2003, 09:58 AM
It doesn't really matter. But from reading posts, Mac users get the shaft more often on some plug-ins.

Bigger, badder and better. That's it. Platform isn't relevant. Just make sure it's a fast as hell machine.

If you have $$ to buy an SGI, then I say get a BOXX... they are running a special I think still.

jevinstudios
06-07-2003, 04:37 PM
It's no secret that PC's are much faster in the rendering, nonlinear editing and processing department -- if that's where your path is taking you, you might want to research it. Also, if DVD authoring is in your future, you might want a good, fast PC (Adobe's new DVD authoring suite will be released for PC only).

I'm contracting for a large player in the aerospace industry, and many of the people use Mac G4's, but they're twice as slow as my custom-made PC powerhouse, so I have a bias here. I do most of the work from my studio instead of onsite at their office due to this limitation (especially with Maya).

LightWave seems to be more platform-friendly, and not as slow on the Mac however.

As far as a souped-up SGI, though, I'd say go PC -- much cheaper, and you can get a bigger bang for the buck (my studio's new PC is a P4 2.5 Ghz, Win XP, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard disk, 80 GB Firewire, CD RW, and an nVidia Quadro 4 900 XGL (128 MB) card). FAST FAST FAST FAST FAST, and only cost a little over $3K, monitor included!!!!!

Also remember to factor in future hardware upgrades. Upgrading a Mac is painful at best, and your options are limited. With PC's, however, the sky's the limit, and in many cases, affordable too.

cresshead
06-07-2003, 05:30 PM
even though your rendering for a single image you may find that having a win/pc will give you faster/cheaper test renders so you can tweek your scene faster...also as stated the plugins for lightwave turn up on intel/windows before mac..and some plugins never make it to mac....

you may have guessed i run lw on pc...on a dell, sony laptop and a silicon graphics 320 visual workstation at one time or another.

as for the current crop of sgi machines?
can you run lightwave 7.5 on them???

steve g

mattclary
06-09-2003, 05:44 AM
Faster is better. I don't really understand why people stay on Mac's if the primary use is LightWave.