PDA

View Full Version : Mac Lightwave 9 crashes upon loading file from PC version of 9

Caveboy
08-21-2006, 09:16 PM
I have this scene file that I cannot load successfully on my mac.

It was created on the PC and saved as a layered file. It works fine on the PC.

So I tried loading it on the Mac version and it cannot be loaded in Layout. I can only load it in Modeler!

So I can load the object in Modeler. I save it. And try and send it to layout - kaboom - layout crashes.

I think there is something wong.

The only time it worked was when I applied the surface as a default surface with no textures (in Modeler) save it as a new version. Now the scene file can load!

Go figure!

Anybody see this happen?

Thanks!

Chilton
08-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Hi Caveboy,

If you can, please send this object to me and I'll be happy to look into it.

[email protected]

(my new official NewTek email address)

Thank you,
-Chilton

Caveboy
08-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks!

Since the object is copyrighted- I cannot send you the whole thing. But I did save out some polys - wouldn't you know - it still crashed Layout! I wonder what it is?

Chilton
08-21-2006, 10:23 PM
We treat every file we get as confidential, and I make every effort to keep my drive clean of any third party files. I'm also allowed to sign NDAs, if needed. But anything is fine.

If you have something that crashes on the Mac, but not the PC, I'd really like to find out why.

Thanks,
-Chilton

Caveboy
08-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Weird,

I cannot modify the file in modeler. I get this message that says the fie is read only.

I just want to delete a few faces from this section before I send the object. Is this usual?

Chilton
08-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Weird,

I cannot modify the file in modeler. I get this message that says the fie is read only.

I just want to delete a few faces from this section before I send the object. Is this usual?

I wouldn't say it's 'usual', but I think there was a problem like this a week or so ago. It was discussed here in the forum, though I can't find it now.

-Chilton

Caveboy
08-21-2006, 10:58 PM
My Hub is not letting the two apps work together after a layout crash. If restart layout, it no longer "sees" modeler and vice versa. I think I need to force configure modeler, layout and the hub.
Did you get the files OK?

toby
08-21-2006, 11:04 PM
Only 29 posts!? For shame!

eblu
08-22-2006, 03:06 PM
My Hub is not letting the two apps work together after a layout crash. If restart layout, it no longer "sees" modeler and vice versa. I think I need to force configure modeler, layout and the hub.
Did you get the files OK?

your hub is essentially your enemy right now. IT is making your file read only, and breaking communication between the apps.

usually this is due to corrupt Config files, and it happens a little too often for the hub to be of any real use. so I just remove the hub from the programs folder (I DONT throw it out, just move it.) before I launch Lightwave or Modeler and everything works just a little better. Theres no interoperability between the 2 apps, but it behaves consistently.

now Lets say you need a quick fix to your "read only" dilemma. In my experience there is ONLY one way to save that file... save it as new. That means you have to replace it in Lightwave, but since your hub has become your enemy, your going to have to jump through ALOT of hoops that you never used to have to jump through.

Caveboy
08-23-2006, 01:30 AM
I found out why layout crashes!
I should've realized that my Powerbook g4 12" does not have a very robust open GL. It is only version 1.1 and the NVidia chip is only 32Mb!
Doh!
Lightwave should at least warn me after detecting my system that I cannot load textured displays without bombing.
Even though I lowered most of the settings, I was not able to load in a scene file that went over this limit. When I made every viewport render type a wireframe or lower display type, I was able to successful load in my scene.
However, if I changed a viewport to display solids or textures, it just crashed and aborted. I just wish I got a warning.

toby
08-23-2006, 03:08 AM
Hey Dan! Up late again eh? :) Holy crud, look who's talking, it's 2am now :p

That's really strange, I didn't think LW ever had a problem with just shaded mode. Does it have this problem with models you make on the PB, as opposed to models from PCs? Is it a huge model?

I do know that Layout reads the surface for displaying even solid shade, based on the fact that our tracking obj's, which never have a surface, will not show up unless we set the view to wireframe - so if the surface is different somehow, that could still be the problem. That's supported by the fact that if you change the surface it loads ok -

Doesn't help you much though, changing all the surfaces then trying to get the original look back would take forever... can you try loading the model into LW 8.5 on the PC and resaving it?

goin' to bed now....

Caveboy
08-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Hey!

Yeah, I'm at work now. But real quick.
I did try and load it in 8.5 and it worked! So I guess it is a bug, unless v9 really needs a system with absolute open gl 2.0!

More later . . .