View Full Version : Z-brush to Lightwave node editor

08-21-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm trying to use the new Node editor to create displacements from Z-brush but having no luck at all. I've attached an image of the node editor. I followed the video which was posted up for Lightwave 9. I've set my subtract node to 0.5 and my Multiply to 1 which is what they have in the vid. My displacemnt just doesn't seem to do much it just seems to either squeeze or expand the model but doesn't actually create any of the bumps that I created in Z-brush. As far as I'm aware the Multiply should be changed according to how big the model is in metres but no matter what I type in I can't produce anything close to what I have in Z-brush.

Can anyone help with this as I'm finding it really frustrating.

Pete B

08-21-2006, 04:36 PM
well it could be a few different things... try uping the render subpatch level, make sure your map was flipped vertically, I have just used the opacity on the image node to adjust the displacement instead of the multiply node...

08-21-2006, 04:41 PM
If it's human sized, .3 or less ought to work in your multiply node.
And as Bryphi7 said, there are a number of ways to tweak.

08-22-2006, 01:04 PM
Nope it's not the flip UV's and it's not the subpatch level. It's simply just bloating or making the mesh really small. I've tried a test with a cube which measures a metre by a metre and it's even worse it just makes the cube disappear.

Pete B

08-22-2006, 01:11 PM
have u checked your subpatch order?

08-22-2006, 03:36 PM
Turn mipmap off or on low... I forgot about that.

Darth Mole
08-22-2006, 03:48 PM
And if in doubt, load up the ZBrush example scene and use that node system (replace object with your file, then swap UV maps). I've had exactly the same thing here - everything looks identical; can't figure out why it works in the stock LW scene, but not mine. Very frustrating!

P.S. Watch out for the Displacement Before Bones/Motion/etc. I think it's supposed to be set to Last... that one caught me out.

08-23-2006, 07:50 AM
I was playing around with this a lot last night. If I use a brick procedural or some other default procedural the displacement works as expected. I've got a feeling it's to do with using UV's in the image. From what I can tell it's not even seeing the image at all.

I don't think it's anything to do with before Morphing/bones as even if I flick between all 4/5 options the results are the same which is diddly squat.

I'll try that mipmap idea and the the Z-brush tutorial files.

I'll keep you all posted on the results.

Thanks for th input.

Pete B

08-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Looks like it was the mipmap that was the problem. I still can't seem to get exactly the results I want, everything seems to come out a bit blobby. Maybe it's the level of detail but I don't think so. I'll have another play tonight in more detail.

Pete B