PDA

View Full Version : Help With Rubiks Cube

digitalpost
08-21-2006, 11:07 AM
I need help with seting up a Rubik's Cube animation. I'm sure that there is a ton of approaches to this.
< maybe there is one already set up with the proper nulls somewhere on the web >
My first question is that I probably need to create a model with all 27 cubes in their own layers in order
to parent correctly, seeing as the "sandwich" sides backs tops etc, have to be grouped selectively.
Can anyone add to this idea to help make it as simple as possible?
Maybe a plug-in or cool way to randomize the motion / sequence once the cube is set up correctly.
Thanks

IMPERIAL
08-21-2006, 12:27 PM
forget parenting...
make sure each box has the pivot point in the middle of the cube. Be precise..or you will get different rotations.
In layout you can multiselect objects holding shift and rotate as you wish.

digitalpost
08-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Hmmmmm... I may be tired but I think I need to make all possbile groups of 9
with a null in the middle of each group so the whole group can spin, meaning I would need rotator nulls for each " sandwich ' of 9 cubes. I think there are only 6 different groups of 9 that can be turned.
My brain says all individual cubes < 27 > need to be in its own layer and save as multilayer object.
Then in Layout, make a null centered in each group....for the "6 possible groups of 9 " .
Unless there is a easy way blowing over my head. GRIN
Like a Rubik's cube plugin!!

cresshead
08-21-2006, 01:53 PM
would you believe it!
3dsmax has had such a a plugin for years that makes a rubik cube...drag n drop!

maybe try their demo version for 30days?? ...walk into the darkside luke!
come with mapping and an animation effects so you can specify the solve frame etc...
neato!

if your wanting to get the job done..this would do it..or even you could try the demo of max
just to load this up and deconstruct howe it's working...and then replicate it back in lw

http://www.effectware.com/download/max6/efx_rubik.zip

IMPERIAL
08-21-2006, 01:55 PM
each box will leave the "sandwich" with the first turn. then the null is useless.
Unless there is a way to have 2 or 3 parents.. it could be possible

or try as i said.. i already made the anim...

create the cube..center it with F2...then brake it placing each box in separate layes. Each box will have pivot at 0.0.0 so you are set to go.

you must parent all boxes to single null so you can move whole cube at once.

RedBull
08-21-2006, 01:59 PM
This gets attempted quite often...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26616&d=1139129866

cresshead
08-21-2006, 02:09 PM
LOL! how funny is this...both max and lw have rubik's cube scenes!
...bet xsi hasn't!

digitalpost
08-21-2006, 02:12 PM
This gets attempted quite often...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26616&d=1139129866

I owe you many RED BULLS.

cresshead
08-21-2006, 02:19 PM
one of the best things about lightwave isn't the software, but the people who use it and help other users so much!

nice find redbull!

IMPERIAL
08-21-2006, 02:45 PM
thanks redbull

i dont get it.. what quaternionboost actually does for the scene?
thats all i can see.. or there is more to the scene that i cant find?

IMPERIAL
08-21-2006, 02:56 PM
ok i got it.. read other posts in different forums.

digitalpost
08-21-2006, 03:17 PM
ok... one last dilemma!
object cloning was done in layout all from 1 cube.
I need to map a single image across all 9 cubes of a color, so that the correct
color sequence equals a full image. I can't think of any way to do this.
There must be a way....

digitalpost
08-21-2006, 03:29 PM
DOH...... front projection map? < until there is motion! bummer

IMPERIAL
08-22-2006, 02:57 AM
dont clone in layout..as you can see in the example..they have 4 sides in each colour..but when a row is rotating...you can see colours in the back of the row wich is wrong.. it should be black.
since is all about rotational problems...make separate layers in modeler, assign surfaces..and apply the quaternionbooster plugin on each in layout.

digitalpost
08-22-2006, 07:34 AM
Thanks Imperial...
Will try that. I think my prob will be the same as now with the surfacing seeing as I want 9 cubes < in a 3x3 group > to equal 1 full surface across.
My mapping goal is to have a persons face on all 6 sides of the rubik < 6 different faces > maybe if I surface the 3x3 in modeler, THEN break into seperate layers..... yeah, that might work.

IMPERIAL
08-22-2006, 08:44 AM
it sure will..