PDA

View Full Version : Horse head

Horace
08-21-2006, 02:56 AM
Hey all. :thumbsup:

Sorry, this may sound noob, just wondering if there was any sites out there to help with modelling horses?

I have got most the horse ok, just having trouble with the head.

Any ideas/sites would be appreciated.

Thanks
:)

SplineGod
08-21-2006, 04:43 AM
Find a nice toy of a horse. :)

lilrayray77
08-21-2006, 07:05 AM
Inside lightwave [8] has a good giraffe tutorial which might work. Basicaly you rotate a cube 45 and then metform devide it and then smoothshift from there. The book goes indepth with this as well as many other techniques.

Horace
08-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Ok cheers dudes :)

SplineGod
08-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Find some good reference (internet pics, action figure etc) and use that as background reference in modeler to model from.
I have a free tutorial on my website showing how to model a reptile head with splines. It can easily be adapted to modeling a horse head. :)

bluerider
08-22-2006, 04:03 AM
Hey all. :thumbsup:

Sorry, this may sound noob, just wondering if there was any sites out there to help with modelling horses?

I have got most the horse ok, just having trouble with the head.

Any ideas/sites would be appreciated.

Thanks
:)

I found the best way to set about understanding the anatomy of a horse is get some good reference. The key is understanding the horse from the inside out?

Basically anatomically deconstructing the horse into basic geomentric shapes such as boxes spheres etc.

There are a number of publications out there on the subject of animales and horses etc, unfortunatly not all are that helpful. Here are some publications that I personally think are definatives-

http://www.a1wdb.com/cgi-bin/women/13148.html "George Stubbs"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0399508023/104-9072317-1387901?v=glance&n=283155
Jack Hamm

Jack Hamms book is great for breaking up the horse into basic geometric shapes. George Stubbs is incredible for accurate anatomical detail. He did the study of horses regarding this publication around the 1790's "it hasn't been bettered"...........

The other thing I recommend after being armed with these visual prompts is to go outside and draw some horses. the photo reference will only get you so far, drawing the subject will force you to understand volumes, more difficult but priceless.