PDA

View Full Version : OT Web Site

badllarma
08-21-2006, 01:22 AM
Can the guy who does the Newtek web site PLEASE sort it out!!!
In Firefox as you mouse over the top menu the drop down appears over the Newtek logo (top far left).

Have had to go back to Explorer just to vist the site :thumbsdow

Bytehawk
08-21-2006, 03:39 AM
doesn't happen here.

v1.5.0.6

Twisted_Pixel
08-21-2006, 03:39 AM
Appears to be working for me in firefox, possible screen shot of the problem may help to see where exactly you mean though.

Also, v1.5.0.6

badllarma
08-21-2006, 05:23 AM
Could be I'm running 1.0.7 then I best upgrade, must be a problem with Firefox rather than the web site as a whole, I apologise thought it would have worked ok though?

That's really stange it's working ok now????????? I went to do a screen shot and it works ok??

Brian Arndt
08-21-2006, 08:49 AM
yah i dont seem to have that issue in firefox.

badllarma
08-21-2006, 09:14 AM
yah i dont seem to have that issue in firefox.

Hi Brian seem to be ok now even with the older version , very strange?

Silkrooster
08-21-2006, 05:12 PM
Maybe a cache issue. Viewing an older version of the site's graphics.
Just guessing
Silk

fyborg_1138
08-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Yep, confirmed wierdness.

I noticed the same thing on my Firefox 1.0.6 a couple of days ago. It started doing that strange thing on the NewTek header of occasionally shifting the dropdown list all the way to the left on the screen. Of course when I moused over to the dropdown list it would disappear. When I would hit 'reload current page' the dropdown list would correct itself and the lists would realign under the correct header subjects. Very strange gremlin... Seems to be working OK now though.:stumped: :compbeati

fyborg_1138
08-22-2006, 03:43 AM
Wierdness was back this morning with Firefox.

I booted the computer, went to NewTek site home page and dropdown lists from header subjects were all appearing at far left over the NewTek logo. I hit 'reload current page' from the Firefox toolbar and the problem went away. Hmmm. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can find a consistent sequence of events that leads to the home page spaz. Unfortunately, I don't have time to play with it right now, and reloading the page fixes it.

Edu
08-22-2006, 05:22 AM
That's an ethernal issue between web browsers (specially between Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer). It's always about web standards and how each different browser "renders" HTML and CSS Styles... think like open a 3ds object in Light Wave and rendering without doing any changes in teir surfaces.

Then, it's very difficult to build a web with 100% cross browser compatibility (beeing between their different upgrades almost impossible...), so sometimes you'll find strange behaviours, even different results with the same browser...

i know it... that's part of my daily work as webmaster

Brian Arndt
08-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Ill look into it and see what i can come up with

Martin Adams
08-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Just don't do what most websites to do get around the problem, and that's put a message say "Best viewed in Internet Explorer". :p

fyborg_1138
08-22-2006, 04:27 PM
OK, another nugget of information...

I can get the symptom consistently only after starting the computer and initially navigating to the NewTek home page. If I 'reload current page' or navigate away from the site and back again, the problem goes away until the computer is turned off and back on again. Then the problem appears on the first navigation to the NewTek home page either as the first address navigated to, or from another web address. Otherwise there are no problems.

Am I making any sense?

Dell Dimension 8300, 2.6GHz P4, 2GB RAM, 120G HD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, WinXP Pro SP1 (in case it matters).

Martin Adams
08-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Just a random thought - could it be related to some page events happening before the page has completed loading. For example, if you've just rebooted, maybe your machine is still loading stuff in the background, making it work a little slower. Then cached pages would load that much quicker.

As its a mouse rollover event, it might make a difference if the page is loaded and your mouse is positioned somewhere on the page, or in motion as it loads.

Just a thought as I've had similar issues in the past.

Edit: It might also be useful to open up the JavaScript console (Tools -> JavaScript Console) and see if there are any JavaScript errors popping up. You might have to clear the list first if you've been on other sites though. This is why I love FireFox as a web developer - it actually tells you what the JavaScript error was, opposed to IE simply saying, "Error found on line 1" - hmmm, useful ..... not.

fyborg_1138
08-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Ok, this time I waited a couple of minutes for Norton to finish its stuff on bootup, navigated to NewTek and waited a minute or so to make sure stuff loaded, moused over the header subjects and had the same effect. Refresh the page and the problem goes away. Also, minimizing/restoring down browser and restoring back up makes the gremlin go away. Attached screen shot shows dropdown list from 'Community' on far left-hand side over NewTek logo.

Chuck
08-22-2006, 05:05 PM
OK, another nugget of information...

I can get the symptom consistently only after starting the computer and initially navigating to the NewTek home page. If I 'reload current page' or navigate away from the site and back again, the problem goes away until the computer is turned off and back on again. Then the problem appears on the first navigation to the NewTek home page either as the first address navigated to, or from another web address. Otherwise there are no problems.

Am I making any sense?

Dell Dimension 8300, 2.6GHz P4, 2GB RAM, 120G HD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, WinXP Pro SP1 (in case it matters).

I'm using Netscape 7.2 and getting identical behavior - first come to the web site and the dropdowns drop on the far left. Since I'm at the next desk Brian was able to lean over the cubicle wall (we've got the short walls), and see it, so I'm sure he'll figure it out pretty quickly.

ShawnStovall
08-23-2006, 01:49 PM
You work in cubicles??

colkai
08-24-2006, 03:06 AM
Hey, didn't ya know, Chuck's middle name is Dilbert! :p ;)

ShawnStovall
08-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Hey, didn't ya know, Chuck's middle name is Dilbert! :p ;)

!!??!!??!!??:p :confused: