PDA

View Full Version : Will LW 8.5 work on the new Mac Pro?

dranos
08-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Well as the topic says, will it work? I've been fortunate to have a virtually flawless version of LW 8.5 ever since it came out. I'm planning to upgrade to 9 soon but must admit being a bit nervous having had zero problems with 8.5. Because I've had a problem free LW, I have been sort of out of the loop with new all the new developments. I'm expanding my studio and will be purchasing a new Mac Pro and Mac Book pro next week and just wanted to know if my work flow will be interupted.
Will 8.5 still work seamlessly?
Will I have to do any upgrades?
Is the suggested config on the Mac Pro ok?
I am clueless about the new video cards, which should I choose?

Thanks in advance.

TomT
08-20-2006, 10:09 PM
So far yes, but it depends on the dongle you have. Some of NT's dongles aren't compatible with Intel-based macs--a fix is on the way. I have a reletively old dongle which works fine with my MacBook Pro. Don't expect great speed until the Universal Binary version of LW9 hits the shelves.

-T

geck
08-20-2006, 10:15 PM
My only suggestion would be to hold off on buying an Intel-based Mac until NT releases the Universal Binary version of LW 9. Apparently performance under Rosetta is not fantastic. At least that's what I've heard.

As for video cards, anything with at least 128Mb of memory, (preferably 256Mb), will do.

Skritter
08-21-2006, 12:22 AM
8.5 LW works perfectly fine on a Mac Pro with no degration in performance and will no doubt perform much better. Just buy a copy of windows and run under bootcamp and wait for the Universal Mac version.

Captain Obvious
08-21-2006, 05:48 AM
Performance in Rosetta might not be all that bad. The Mac Pro is actually faster than the quad G5 running some of Adobe's apps in Rosetta! Pretty amazing.

Noclar7
08-21-2006, 06:43 AM
Performance in Rosetta might not be all that bad. The Mac Pro is actually faster than the quad G5 running some of Adobe's apps in Rosetta! Pretty amazing.

I've been runnign the complete adobe/macromedia suite on a Macbook pro for about a month now in a production enviroment. Only major noticable slow-downs are in large transform operations. Still waiting on the fix for my new red dongle though!!

dranos
08-21-2006, 07:24 AM
Thanks a lot guys. This info really helps.