PDA

View Full Version : How to make light of scene from an object

hstewarth
08-20-2006, 11:50 AM
I am curious how I can make light of object come from specific object. In my case a light that I created. I trying cranking lumousity up and using Radiosity.

meshpig
08-20-2006, 11:58 PM
Experimentation is the key!

-You can put a spot light at the object's pivot and turn volumetric lighting on. This will cast a beam of light through a fog- you will need to play around in VIPER to get the dimensions right, and you don't need to use Radiosity.
You might have to have the anti-aliasing set to medium if I recall correctly before the pixel filters kick in..
-also you can project an image from a spot, which if you render volumetrically, will reflect off the fog.

Or you increase the luminosity of the object into the 1000's as well as adjust the transparency and translucency depending on what sort of light it is that you want. If you use an "area" light you will find that your texture's Luminoisty isn't just drowned out.

Here is a simple example which I just happened to have open, the texture luminosity is set at 3000 and eneveloped so the light turns from red to green when the car moves off and around the corner. With the right area lighting, it's pretty effective!

If you also experiment with "edge transparency" shader in the shaders bar on the right of the texture editor, you can build your own transparent shapes over an object which does something similar to casting a beam of light.

Good Luck!

M

hstewarth
08-21-2006, 07:40 AM
I did experiement with Lightwave wit Lghts, but one thing that is different is that my scene is completely in an enclosed room.

I got to re look at - something might be wrong - the entire scene was Black except for small brightness coming from 4 lights that had luminosity crank up.

meshpig
08-22-2006, 12:09 AM
... if your room has no opening, you will need to have a very dim area light inside the room, or you can illuminate the wall's texture slightly... try both or independently.

Try opening the room on one side like as in a film set and play with the global illuminations settings which is on the light's property panel.

Here is something I never got around to finishing properly en route to some other project, you can see how there is a sun on the background texture image as well as a spot light positioned so the flares appear to be coming from the same source.

M

hstewarth
08-22-2006, 07:38 AM
Well I believe it can be done by opening one side, but for other parts of scene I need it to be completely enclosed.

I think I will try a dim area light - that might just work. I did play with normal lights but they didn't seam to show up.