PDA

View Full Version : graffiti on the timeline?

mgrusin
06-06-2003, 01:25 AM
I was working on a complex sequence in TEd tonight, and came very close to using a dry-erase marker on the monitor to help me sort things out. Which leads to the late-night idea: how about some way to let us make notes on the timeline? The easiest way to do this might be to provide a fake "post-it note" clip that you can select and type in...

My monitor thanks you. Good night. :o

-MG.

Norman
06-06-2003, 02:48 AM
Can't you already do this with markers? I'm not at my Toaster now, but, I think you only have to double-click a marker to add comments.

Paul Lara
06-06-2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by mgrusin
provide a fake "post-it note" clip that you can select and type in...

...maybe like a passive clip that is only seen by you (and your monitor) but not the timeline scrub bar?

wvp
06-07-2003, 09:56 AM
Yes, you can add a short 'comment' to any marker. This coupled with being able to colorize your clips may be the best solution.
The comments allow you to note a specific edit point (that will stay 'synced' as you make changes) or note a specific part of the timeline.
The color picker lets you change the display color of the clips so you can make all your camera 1 clips say yellow, you narrator clips green and camera 2 blue, etc.

Having sais that, an electronic 'post-it' could prove useful. You right click to select it & when done typing you could choose to have a small icon appear on the clip to signify a note is present. This would help if you want to "hide" notes at times. You could then use notes to remind you to insert a shot or other edit ideas, or setting that you have tried, etc.
Of course it would great to also right click and 'add post-it' to the timeline itself (just like we can with markers)

mgrusin
06-07-2003, 12:13 PM
And Paul Spake Thusly:

...maybe like a passive clip that is only seen by you (and your monitor) but not the timeline scrub bar?

Yeah, something like that. I think you could do this today by making a 100% alpha clip, streching it to the size you need, coloring it yellow, and changing the alias in the edit window. But late at night I'm not that coherent and would prefer an "add post-it (TM) note clip" in the context menu. ;) A toasterscript would probably suffice.

Thanks for reminding me about the labelable markers (I had forgotten about them). Between that and aliasing the clips, we've really got it pretty good. It was just the thought of taking a dry-erase marker to the timeline that got me thinking about this functionality. I'm interested in hearing other peoples ideas.

-MG

djlithium
06-20-2003, 02:21 PM
Hmm
How about a special CG title Track where you can take a CG graphic (put your label here), but it does not appear on PGM out and only shows up on Key on a Toaster Vision. Of course if one could do this, then you would think you could assign different tracks of video to a ToasterVision Monitor Window. You would never really need more then 4.

Thats a bit crazy though.