PDA

View Full Version : fPrime and Sticky motion modifier

DrTWT
08-20-2006, 12:08 AM
Tried to use the Sticky/Sticky Surface motion mod for the first time tonight; apparently fPrime (2.10) doesn't read the sticky information, since my object, well, doesn't stick.

Anyone had luck with this?

RedBull
08-20-2006, 12:52 AM
The examples in the Content seem to work fine with Fprime here..

DrTWT
08-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Hmmm,

All three of the content CD sticky scenes aren't working for me.

They look fine in the open GL window, but fPrime (both preview and render) aren't getting it right... in the sticky_pole.lws, the ball keeps coming in and out of the tube when rendered in fPrime.

Any suggestions would be great, since this mod will be most helpful to me.

thanks

RedBull
08-20-2006, 03:40 PM
All of them work fine here, so i'm unsure as to what it could be..

But generally anything Worley based, just send a note to support,
they generally have it fixed or give an answer within 24hours.

Bog
08-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Doc, have you added FPrime Trigger to your Sticky object?

DrTWT
08-20-2006, 08:09 PM
RedBull...

Thanks for looking into this, much appreciated.

Bog-- you were right on the money! fPrime trigger did the trick. I'm not accustomed myself to pulling the fPrime trigger on objects~ was under the impression that it wasn't needed anymore. Thanks for the help!:thumbsup:

Any other scenarios come to mind when the trigger must be applied in 9.0???

RedBull
08-20-2006, 09:22 PM
RedBull...

Thanks for looking into this, much appreciated.

Bog-- you were right on the money! fPrime trigger did the trick. I'm not accustomed myself to pulling the fPrime trigger on objects~ was under the impression that it wasn't needed anymore. Thanks for the help!:thumbsup:

Any other scenarios come to mind when the trigger must be applied in 9.0???

No worries, it might be worth looking into why this is, none of my scenes required the old FPrime style trigger to be added to any of the content scenes. Which seems a little weird to me.....

Lego Maniac
08-21-2006, 11:57 AM
No, you should never need the "trigger", that was for LW 7. It's not needed in the latest versions of LW 8 or LW 9.

Before LW 9 came out, in the LW 9 open beta, there was a month or so where a LW bug broke FPrime. The workaround was to add a displacement to the object, any displacement, including the old trigger. Newtek fixed that bug for LW 9.0 release though.

Bog
08-21-2006, 02:22 PM
No, you should never need the "trigger", that was for LW 7. It's not needed in the latest versions of LW 8 or LW 9.

No, really. Trust me. It is. It wasn't needed in v8.0 and maybe up to v8.3 but the moment we hit v8.5 it became necessary once more.

Phil
08-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Is Worley asleep at the wheel, or NewTek?

Bog
08-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Is Worley asleep at the wheel, or NewTek?

Well, it wouldn't take kissin' time for Worley to pull the misleading "not needed in >7.5" message and tweak the docs.

bryphi7
08-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Needed the trigger in the beta, but not anymore! for me anyway...

RedBull
08-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Exactley, It works without the trigger here, so maybe something else is causing the problem on certain configurations.

Bog
08-21-2006, 05:29 PM
It seems that most things that handle vertex displacement (Endomorphs, Particle FX, ClothFX, displacement mapping, yada yada) seem to be less unreliable in FPrime with the Trigger.

Endomorphs I just slap the trigger on by default, as so many times it's worked in the FPrime Preview and had unmorphed objects in the FPrime Render. The Monte-Carlo 2-bounce 250-frame area-lit render that I'd left going for two days before thinking "Ooh, let's see what we've got. Oh. Sod all that's useable. Great."

I really wish Worley would remove that "Not Needed" flag, because it blimmin' well is so often and so unpredictably that it's just not worth not applying it. And given the amount of grief that's caused me for believing it, he owes me about a gram of tooth enamel from all the grinding and gnashing.

Sorry. Pet bugbear.

DrTWT
08-21-2006, 08:16 PM
No, really. Trust me. It is. It wasn't needed in v8.0 and maybe up to v8.3 but the moment we hit v8.5 it became necessary once more.

I seemed to be OK in 8.5 without it; but looking back, every once in a while I would have fPrime strangely misplace objects in space, like it was misreading the pivot point or something to that effect. Never tried the fPrime trigger then, so maybe it would have worked it those situations.

These issues are wierd, when different folks have different experiences; I guess the lesson is to try to the trigger if things are a bit snafu... or maybe more often if they are snafu all the time. I'll email Worley and see if anything comes of it.