PDA

View Full Version : Little nodal help, please....?

Lottmedia
08-19-2006, 04:57 PM
So I'm trying to texture a brick wall, and I can't seem to figure out how to get some bump on the "bricks" I have the 2d brick node (is that the problem?) plugged into bump and adjusted to a good approximation of the size and everthign I want. Now what I want to do is apply some crackly to just the brick portions to give them some texture and I figured the way to do that would be plug the color of the crackly into the FG color of the brick. That gives a map that looks right in the node preview, but in the final surface there is no difference between with ot without the crackle. Is there somethign I'm missing? I can't take a screenshot, unfortunately, because of my keyboard (Mac KB on a PC) Anyone got any ideas?

Casey :cat:

esper8
08-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Try unplugging the fg colour of the crackle and setting the colour of the crackle as the bg colour of the brick. Hth

Lottmedia
08-19-2006, 05:13 PM
I don't think you understand, it dosen't matter what the FG or BG color are, no change at all.

esper8
08-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Is this the sort on thing you`re aiming at?

Sorry about the big file sizes

iconoclasty
08-19-2006, 05:42 PM
I'm pretty sure that combining PC and Mac technologies is causing a temporal rift in your OS and .....
Okay seriously. I'm assuming you're pulling the brick bump to the surface bump. Tying crackle color to FG color won't effect the brick's bump, only the color. You'll need to tie crackle bump to the brick bump to the surface bump. However, that won't seperate the bump from the mortar. I'll have to think for a moment how to do that.

LightFreeze
08-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Try this

LightFreeze
08-19-2006, 06:45 PM
The one above isn`t right, it just looks that way :)

this ones a bit better for keeping the bump out of the mortar

esper8
08-19-2006, 07:09 PM
After messing with gradients and noise and crashing, lol, I got this by just messing with the small scale setting in the crackle properties

Lottmedia
08-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Lightfreze, I like the results you're getting, it's looking closest to what I'm looking for. Esper, I can't tell but it looks like your result is only color and not actually bump. Can you show an angled view?

(grateful for the help...)

Lottmedia
08-19-2006, 09:32 PM
After looking at your pic lightfreze I tried to recreate it and just couldn't get it. As soon as plugged in the opacity it just went black, so I assume there was something in the node settings I didn't do. But, in stumbling around I did get somethign that was pretty good. Don't laugh at my tree, I'm sure there's a better way to do this but.....

RedBull
08-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Here is a Brick Node setup i was doing yesterday.....

I have the grout and brick seperated, this gave me so much more control,
and just by changing a few settings i can get a multitude of different looking bricks and patterns.

PS Excuse the crappy image it seems my LWPC gives completely different colour/gamma image in comparison
to my Internet machine. Must fix that.

esper8
08-20-2006, 07:33 AM
How`s this?

LightFreeze
08-21-2006, 11:35 AM
the horizontal mortar looks good, not sure about the verticle though, might be the viewing angle

esper8
08-21-2006, 12:00 PM
You`re right, the vertical mortar has got bump on it..... back to the drawing board

MiniFireDragon
08-21-2006, 12:25 PM
I think you need to do the bricking in the Displacement Node editor to create true 3d bumps. Surface editor just gives the illusion. Atleast that is what I found in playing around trying to create a bullet hole. If you want to really see what I am talking about, take a plane, apply the ripple to it (in the 3d section) then look at the plane from the side. No waves!!

Then again, I really don't know what I am doing with nodes yet and I could be completely missing something.

Lottmedia
08-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Yeah, but doing the displacement way would need a really high poly mesh to look right and that's just not practical

Caey :cat:

MiniFireDragon
08-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Have you looked in the Surface manual under nodes? The very 1st topic is the Brick node and the example they give is adding a procedural to ONLY the mortar.

It's a simple layout.

LightFreeze
08-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Gee read a manual, where ever did you get that idea from :D

its the mortar sharp we need to get a nice alpha for the bump, just don`t set it to 100%, 50% is fine

Anti-Distinctly
08-22-2006, 12:22 PM
I have a seamless brick texture if you want it. I think it looks better than procedurals.

zapper1998
11-26-2006, 04:37 AM
this does all kinda brick textures

http://www.accurateimage.com/acme/help/

SplineGod
11-26-2006, 01:52 PM
If you plug the output into the displacement node you have to turn on enable bump in the object properties panel to get it to actually displace. You would have to increase the subpatch level which will create a lot of polys. It will still probably render fast anyway. Another thing is to use APS to change the subpatch level based on distance to the camera so that you only see the displaced details when youre close.

zapper1998
11-27-2006, 04:31 AM
If you plug the output into the displacement node you have to turn on enable bump in the object properties panel to get it to actually displace. You would have to increase the subpatch level which will create a lot of polys. It will still probably render fast anyway. Another thing is to use APS to change the subpatch level based on distance to the camera so that you only see the displaced details when youre close.

Which output ??
I think i missed something, hhmmmmm
Michael

spec24
11-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Gee read a manual, where ever did you get that idea from :D

its the mortar sharp we need to get a nice alpha for the bump, just don`t set it to 100%, 50% is fine

I'm new to this node stuff too, pretty much I've not had any time to mess with it and when I do I just get frustrated. But I'm wondering Lightfreeze, you have a "divide" node in there but only one node plugged into it. Don't you need two nodes plugged into things like multiply and divide?

SplineGod
11-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Heres something I whipped up and the flow that I used to create it.
Heres some things to take note of:
1. The mortar edge is broken up
2. The mortar has its own bump
3. The brick face has its own bump
4. The brick face has a subtle color variation
5. The geometry is also displaced.

zapper1998
11-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Heres something I whipped up and the flow that I used to create it.
Heres some things to take note of:
1. The mortar edge is broken up
2. The mortar has its own bump
3. The brick face has its own bump
4. The brick face has a subtle color variation
5. The geometry is also displaced.

Could you load up the Nodal preset please
Me doing something wrong here
Thank You
Michael

SplineGod
11-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Heres the surface.

zapper1998
11-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Thank You so much

SplineGod
11-28-2006, 05:46 PM
In my example Im also using a subpatched object to displace.