PDA

View Full Version : Which forum is the best for newbies to post?

ssutherland
08-19-2006, 10:22 AM
This is the most active 3D software forum I have seen! With all the choices, I was looking for a 'Newbie's option for questions that everyone has already asked except for those new to the software.

My LW 9 will arrive next week. I used Imagine Amiga and Imagine Windows for many years, but casually. I have been trying to learn TrueSpace, and it is a bit of a bear. Very feature-laden, but I am not sure I like the direction 7.11 is going (interactive 3D, which does not interest me).

I purchased a couple of books and tutorials, but was hoping someone coudl point me to a good GETTING STARTED IN LW (V9 would be nice, but any version that will let me get my feet wet in the overall flow of the software and the basic features for modelling, texturing, animation, etc.).

Thanks,

Scott Sutherland
Haverhill, MA

colkai
08-19-2006, 10:30 AM
This place is a good as any. :)
If in doubt, always do a search first, chances are, the question has already been asked.
Of course, check the manual, (I usually look in the index first, saves lots of page flipping).
Plus, SilkRooster has a great LW resources PDF.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34990&d=1153887260
..or..
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13215&highlight=resources

All you need to find verything about LW.

If none of that fits the bill, fire away with your questions here, we don't normally bite if we've recently been fed. ;) :p

iconoclasty
08-19-2006, 11:33 AM
The general support section sees a lot of newbie questions but no one really seems to care much where you ask. Welcome to the forums.

Silkrooster
08-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Welcome to the world of 3D and Lightwave.:D I think Colkai pretty much has the forums covered. :hey:
The thing you will find out is most of us, visit most of the forums listed, so you will get an answer in which ever forum you choose. I personally think newtek and spinquad are the most active forums, but all of the forums listed are worth there while to join.
It sounds like you are trying to find a FAQ page, I beleive hrgiger has started one. Looks like his site is down at the moment or his link has changed.
Also take a look at the various wiki's as they provide a fair amount of knowledge as well.
Take care and hope to see some of your work,
Silk