PDA

View Full Version : Select Next

Beamtracer
06-05-2003, 07:49 PM
In Modeler, we have various ways to select points and polygons.

The Expand and Contract buttons add (or subtract) another row of polygons to your selection each time you press it. See diagram below

However the Expand tool still makes it difficult to select a single row of polygons, because it keeps adding to the existing selection.

It would be very useful to have a Select Next tool, that would simply select the next row of polygons, whilst deselecting the previous row. See diagram below

Panikos
06-05-2003, 09:20 PM
The vast majority of 3d models do not comform to this geometry structure.

Rory_L
06-05-2003, 10:43 PM
...buuuut for when they do, it`d be nice to have this option: every little helps!

R

Earl
06-05-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Panikos
The vast majority of 3d models do not comform to this geometry structure.

The structure really shouldn't matter, should it? It's basically the same thing as Expand/Contract, except that after expanding, it automatically deselects the previous poly's. The only tricky thing I'd see it having to do is keep track of what poly's it's already 'worked with', so it doesn't expand back into itself. But that could probably be done with a hidden and temporary part name system...or something along those lines (erased after the user has deselected all poly's). Seems viable to me... and useful! :cool:

Alan Daniels
06-06-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Earl
The structure really shouldn't matter, should it? It's basically the same thing as Expand/Contract, except that after expanding, it automatically deselects the previous poly's...

Seems like it would be easy enough to implement, but would people really use this all that often? If "Expand" wasn't an instantaneous command, I'd say just add this as a checkbox option on the "numerics" panel. :) Maybe this could be one of those "obscure" commands that don't get placement in the toolbar (similar to "magic bevel").

Alan Daniels
06-06-2003, 02:14 PM
Almost forgot, there's a relatively simple way to do this:

1) Select your starting polygon(s), and name it as a part if needed.
2) Hit "expand", say, six times.
3) Hit "hide unselected".
4) Select just your starting polygons again
(if the selection is hard to replicate, that's what the part-naming is for).
5) Hit "expand" again, but this time, only five times
(one "expand" less than you did in step 2).
6) Hit "hide selected".
7) Tada! Only the "next" polygons are visible.
8) Do an "invert" selection" so that all the visible polys are highlighted.
9) Hit "unhide" to show everything again. Your "next" polys are now the only ones selected.
10) Model away!

I'm not in front of my LW setup, but this should hopefully get the result you'd want.

P.S. Delete that temporary "part" you created, if you don't need it, that is.