PDA

View Full Version : LW can never find my files

spec24
08-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Second complaint of the night (sorry). LW9 now never seems to be able to find my files even though I have the paths set up to look where the files are. Sometimes it asks me if I want to select and alternate file, I say yes, and the dialogue box that comes up is the folder where the "missing" file is!! What gives???? Other times the file requester just jumps to seemingly random directories. Anyone else experincing this. Is there something I'm missing?? Wasn't like this in 8.

RedBull
08-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Second complaint of the night (sorry). LW9 now never seems to be able to find my files even though I have the paths set up to look where the files are. Sometimes it asks me if I want to select and alternate file, I say yes, and the dialogue box that comes up is the folder where the "missing" file is!! What gives???? Other times the file requester just jumps to seemingly random directories. Anyone else experincing this. Is there something I'm missing?? Wasn't like this in 8.

Yeah it is annoying and it's a giant workflow killer and longtime petpeeve.
It has been there forever as far as i can remember.

The LW9 Content/Paths improvement do help and maybe changed it a little, but they have not fixed the problems.

And as you said it's quite common for it to ask for the file and open the requester, and all i have to do is hit OK and it loads the file.
Why the search is not picking it up itself is beyond me, and sometimes i wonder if anyone else ever uses LW and why the **** they don't notice these little annoyances. You just have to get used to LW is stupid, Windows requester is stupid... :) Navigating directories for presets, for saved .pfx files or images or scenes or objects or... or.... or..... gives me the heebeegeebes, and costs me a lot of workflow speed in LW.

I've noticed Blender is even stupider, and XSI can also suck at this too. :(

petrockproducti
08-18-2006, 09:43 PM
When I start running into this problem, I use a little trick I pulled from working CAD. I will export my scene and copy all my files to a local folder. This is kind of nice because if you are working with objects from disparate sources, it consolidates everything to a central location.

This, of course, is problematic if you are working with a team that accesses a project from a central location. But I agree, LW project/scene management is really bad.

Now that I write this, what I envision is a reworking of the HUB and make it actually serve a greater purpose than interprogram communication. I see the HUB as a project management tool that would have an explorer window which containts icons of all the scenes associated with a project. Then using a nodal flow or a standard file management style, you could manage where files are coming from, if they use a relative path, etc. Say you were to change the reference location of a file within the hub, then switch to layout or modeler, then that object would change. You could even manage global settings within scenes through the HUB.

That's it.

spec24
08-19-2006, 06:49 AM
When I worked w/LW8 and didn't have the option to set directories I didn't have this problem... well, maybe I can think of a couple timeS, but they were few and far between. Now it seems everytime. Newtek come on!

spec24
08-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Newtek I Can't Take It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F I X T H I S B U G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bog
08-19-2006, 09:58 AM
I have had this glitch once or twice, myself.It is a mite irritating, but sometimes exporting the scene in Consolidate Mode seems to help.

spec24
08-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Well, I stopped using custom paths and my problem seems to have disappeared (more or less). Another broken feature apparently. The way I have my directories structured I have to dig down - the custom paths would have been nice. Oh well, back to same ol' same ol'.

Red_Oddity
08-20-2006, 07:07 AM
Well, the thing that annoys me the most about the custom paths is that it only seems to work in Layout, Modeler just gives me the finger whatever i set as custom folder (really annoying when using only Modeler in combination with Maya folder setups).

avkills
08-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Hmmm, I don't think I've ever had this problem, but I am on a Mac. Maybe I've never noticed it; but the only time I get the requester looking for files is if I have moved the files somewhere else or to another computer with a slightly different path.

Of course if I change the path while in Layout and then go to load something of the same sort, it opens up to the path I was last in.

-mark

IMPERIAL
08-20-2006, 08:40 AM
i know its been said..but keeping lw8 config files can couse this.
no problems here at all on pc.

mj418
08-20-2006, 12:28 PM
I don't remember ever having a problem with LW 7 to 8.5 finding objects or textures, as long as the Content Directory was set up right, i.e., Images, Objects, Scenes, but it's happened to me on numerous occasions with LW 9.0.

It's kinda funny though, because if I'm in the wrong Content directory and I load a scene from the recent Files list, LW is smart enough to ask me if I'd rather use that Content, even if it's clear across my desk on my external IDE disk... yet it has trouble sometimes finding something right under its nose. :D

BloodQuest
08-20-2006, 01:57 PM
My utility LConfig can help with this. Normally it's run at startup to allow people to reconfigure the common config files, i.e., everyone uses the same config that is copied to their PC each time they boot, but LConfig allows them to tweak individual settings.

However, you could replace the LW icon with a shortcut to a LW9.bat file that would look like this:

@ECHO OFF
DEL D:\LightWave_90\Configs\*.bak
LConfig D:\LightWave_90\Configs\LWUser.cfg >NUL:
START /B D:\LightWave_90\Programs\LightWav.exe -cD:\LightWave_90\Configs
EXIT

Then in the LWUser.cfg file you have override lines, for example:

Reconfigure LW9.cfg
ReplaceLine
DirectoryType Scenes *
DirectoryType Scenes Scenes
Reconfigure End

Gotta dash right now - I'm off to the LA User Group meet for the first time - but back in a few if anything is not clear. Site address in my profile...

Simon

cohominous
07-24-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm having this problem right now! Mine seems more severe though. Lightwave will ask me like, 20 times in a row for a missing file (even though it shows the correct path where my files SHOULD be in the error message). I'll point it to the file and it asks for EVERY OTHER file in my scene - MULTIPLE TIMES!

It just started doing it this morning after I rebooted.

I'm on a Mac by the way (LW 9.3.1)

danielkaiser
07-24-2008, 11:16 AM
As long as the directory structure is set up properly and all files are in their appropriate folder (not in another project's folder) I never have a problem.

MythBred
07-24-2008, 12:52 PM
I have found that this happens when you load something outside of the normal directory path. For example, I load an HDRI file for a background, which is in a seperate folder in my image folder. Now when I load an object, it first tries where I just5 looked, and can't find it. So when I say select an alternate, it goes to the base of the context dir, then images in the dir, and you are right there.

Scazzino
07-24-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm having this problem right now! Mine seems more severe though. Lightwave will ask me like, 20 times in a row for a missing file (even though it shows the correct path where my files SHOULD be in the error message). I'll point it to the file and it asks for EVERY OTHER file in my scene - MULTIPLE TIMES!

It just started doing it this morning after I rebooted.

I'm on a Mac by the way (LW 9.3.1)

Sounds like your content directory (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/config_files.html#contentDir) is not set correctly. You need to organize all your files inside a properly structured content directory, or you'll have this problem...