PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Shift and Multishift

Ramon
08-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Sorry if this has somewhere been covered before but, I am wondering if LW 9 Multishift is capable of the same functionality as the Smooth Shift function.

I love the way smooth shift works because it can scale an inset (like a "push" in 3DS Max - my friend says) based on the averaged center of the selection.
What Multishift does, doesn't seem to be very useful to me because, I can do the same by just smooth shift - tapping the selection and then switching to the move tool and moving it on the side view would essentially equal Multishift (minus the multiple shifts in one shot). If I'm missing some Multishift functionality that combines the Smooth Shift ability, please let me know.
I'd be happy with a Multishift + SmoothShift tool in one action. -ie: SuperSmoothShift if you move the mouse to the right or left, you inset the selection like Multishift can do. If you move the mouse up or down, you have it function like Smooth Shift. That would be awesome. No need for two seperate tools, in one action you can achieve the results of both.
Any thoughts on this?

This is what I mean - Smooth Shift vs. MultiShift:

Bytehawk
08-18-2006, 02:02 PM
personally i don't use smoothshift anymore. Pressing r for extender is the same thing as smooth shifting without any bevel. multishift replaces all the rest of the functionality. I'm curious to hear of your opinion smooth shift Vs multishift.

Multishift also replaces bevel for me...

SP00
08-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Multishift seems to offer me more control and accuracy at the expense of speed. I can type in an exact value that I want, while supershift goes by a percentage that is harder to get an exact value. Multishift does not reset the value when you do consecutive shifts or bevels, so you have to keep track of what you are shifting. Multishift can also do bevel too with numeric accuracy, but the bevel tool is better and faster at just simple beveling without the need for accuracy.

Multishift can do smooth shift and bevel, but it still needs a default setting for faster and less percise use.

monovich
08-18-2006, 03:05 PM
I just read up on Multishift in the manual the other day. I won't be using smooth shift much anymore, except for super quickies. Extender Plus also works quite well to replace smooth shift. It's better than Extender because it supports subpatches.

I've been working on a personal project trying to learn more about edges and I did 80% of the model with just edges and Extender Plus (and also the wonderful Edgepack Plugins). It's also totally changed the way I will model in the future.

so much new stuff to learn and use!

-s

WilliamVaughan
08-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Multishift replaces Smoothshift and then some. But I do agree that Extender Plus is a must!

SP00
08-18-2006, 03:58 PM
I take back the speed part, multishift can do that too. Not sure what I was saying.

Ramon
08-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Well guys, I still don't see it replacing SmoothShift but maybe it's just because Multishiift is just playing tricks on me or because I must be a knuckle head, or both.
I'll try to have Multishift do what I did interactively with SmoothShift (in the screenshot I posted - that first extension was made with smoothshift and the next (selected) was with Multishift. If someone could tell me how that is done (settings key toggles etc) with Multishift, I'd be real appreciative).
Thanks

WilliamVaughan
08-20-2006, 02:46 PM
Maybe check ur Inset and Shift settings on Multishift

Ramon
08-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Maybe check ur Inset and Shift settings on Multishift
I hope (kinda) the answer isn't that easy because I would feel quite rediculous if so. I'll check it out tomorrow. Is there a way to do that on the fly (ie key toggles) or is it only aaccessible through the numeric panel?
Actually, I'll check that out and let you know.
Thanks Proton and all others.

ShawnStovall
08-20-2006, 09:15 PM
I know this might be kinda' off topic but I do wish their were just an Inset tool for multiplying and even-scaling polygons. I'm getting tired of Smooth Shift...(but that isn't the only reason)

Silkrooster
08-20-2006, 09:18 PM
Yep, Multishift works similar to the way bevel works. Drag left/right or forward/backwards. In fact on version 9, having group polygons unselected is exactly like the bevel tool.
Silk

Silkrooster
08-20-2006, 09:31 PM
I know this might be kinda' off topic but I do wish their were just an Inset tool for multiplying and even-scaling polygons. I'm getting tired of Smooth Shift...(but that isn't the only reason)
Yeah, I really loved using smooth shift, the only problem with it that I had was its ability to continuously change the inset while it was shifting. It's like the normal of the polygon had shifted.
Anyways, for doing just an inset, use extender plus then size. Make sure you are editing one side of your object at a time, or else size it will shift your polys.
I think Multishift has pretty much replaced smooth shifting for me. Just for the simple reason that I can control the inset to bring the normal of the poly back to center. Looks like the bevel tool is in the same boat as smooth shift now that we can group/ungroup the polys.
Silk

SP00
08-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Now that Multishift seems to be a tool that consolidates bevel and smoothshift. Do you think I can remove bevel and smoothshift from my toolset? Or do you guys see it being useful in other situations over multishift?

erikals
08-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Multishift seem to crash on heavy geometry (15000polys), but it could be my CPU that is not friendly. Anyways, no time to dig into it now, sorry :/ (just popping by this thread) If it's a bug, then I'd say to keep smoothshift.

ShawnStovall
08-21-2006, 04:40 PM
In my opinion you should keep everything just in case something starts getting buggy on you.