PDA

View Full Version : Floor Reflection help

DHudson
08-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Hello-

I am trying to get a nice reflection and glossiness on the wood floor in this scene and am having trouble with it. Instead of a refection, I get a "milky" surface.

I gave the first jpg 57% refection on the floor, but no specularity or glossiness.

I gave the second jpg 17% specularity and 52% glossiness but no reflection.

What am I doing wrong? Why no glossy highlights? Please help.

Thank you!

DHudson
08-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Me again- I am using 3 area lights to light the scene. If that makes any difference.

neilp
08-18-2006, 12:51 PM
do you have ray traced reflection turned on in render options?
In the floor surface style check the 'environment' tab make sure the environment is set to reflect raytracing + backdrop or raytracing and spherical map.
If you want pure raytrace only enable raytracing and spherical map
but leave the spherical map image map selector as 'none'
hope this helps

DHudson
08-18-2006, 01:13 PM
You did it! You did it! Thank you sooo much! Ray trace reflection was not checked.

Thank you again!

neilp
08-18-2006, 01:17 PM
happy to help and good luck with the project

DHudson
08-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Here is the scene with the reflection working. Any suggestions on how I can make the floor more life-like?

neilp
08-18-2006, 01:44 PM
add some bump mapping to the Timber 'grooves' in the planking - you will have to take the original image map and make a copy B + W map in photoshop then apply it to the surface bump channel.
add some procedural bump to the overall surface too (maybe fbm noise at say 3cm in scale) and add some specularity to the surface to get some highlights in the bump - this should give the effect of varnish over the timber grain, you will have to mess around with bump settings to get a good result

neilp
08-18-2006, 01:46 PM
if you struggle zip up your files and upload them and ill take a quick look - you can then rummage through the settings when i post it back up and have a tweak about

DHudson
08-18-2006, 02:12 PM
I will try your suggestions - they all sound great - thank you! I'm not quite sure how to add procedural bump, though.

neilp
08-18-2006, 02:20 PM
surface editor - go to bottom area 'bump'
select layer type - procedural
voila

DHudson
08-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Thank you! You have been a great help - much appreciated!

iconoclasty
08-18-2006, 02:44 PM
I would try and blur the reflection a little (maybe 2 or 3%) and see if that helps. Also, with the width of those grooves, I would take your bump map (or another copy) and use it to mask the grooves from the reflection. I'm not sure if that would make it more realistic or not. I could be wrong.

DHudson
08-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Thank you iconoclasty, for your thoughts. Do you think I need a better flooring texture? Do you know a free one available good for a standard dining room wood floor?

ingo
08-18-2006, 02:53 PM
add some bump mapping to the Timber 'grooves' in the planking - you will have to take the original image map and make a copy B + W map in photoshop then apply it to the surface bump channel....

Thats what the image editor is for. Just make a clone of the color map in image editor and move the saturation slider to the left. Thats all...

iconoclasty
08-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Check out this link. (http://67.15.36.49/team/Tutorials/wooden_planks/woodenplanks_01.asp) I found it pretty usefull.

iconoclasty
08-18-2006, 02:57 PM
The bump will only take into account brightness anyway, so if you're not making any adjustments do you even need to make a copy and drop the saturation? Just use the same original map.

DHudson
08-18-2006, 03:13 PM
add some bump mapping to the Timber 'grooves' in the planking - you will have to take the original image map and make a copy B + W map in photoshop then apply it to the surface bump channel.
add some procedural bump to the overall surface too (maybe fbm noise at say 3cm in scale) and add some specularity to the surface to get some highlights in the bump - this should give the effect of varnish over the timber grain, you will have to mess around with bump settings to get a good result

When I did the bump map and rendered it, then did the procedural and rendered it I compared the two and it looks like doing the procedural "undoes" the bump mapping. Am I doing something wrong? (obviously!) :)

iconoclasty
08-18-2006, 03:18 PM
if you have two layers in the bump channel then the top one will overwrite the lower ones unless you have the opacity lower than 100% on the top one, or a blending mode turned on. try setting the procedural one to multiply or additive or something. It will take some tweaking I'm sure.

DHudson
08-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Here is my attempt with the bump map image @ 85% and the Procedural fbm noise @ 54%.

What do you guys think?

iconoclasty
08-18-2006, 04:16 PM
The groove bump looks better. I can only see the fbm noise in the reflection and it makes it all crazy. This would really be a personal preference thing. For a glossy stained wood at approx this far away, I would be fine with only seeing bump for the grooves. It seems like if it was noticably bumpy then it shouldn't be so shiny and reflective.

DHudson
08-18-2006, 04:19 PM
I agree. I am going to take the noise. Thank you for you thoughts, iconoclasty.

I couldn't have done it without you guys!

DHudson
08-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Okay - here it is with just the bump map. That reflection still looks noisey, doesn't it? Or is that what it is supposed to look like?

iconoclasty
08-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Hmm... what's going on there? What else did you change on that texture? A simple bump map for the grooves shouldn't be screwing up the reflection like that.

DHudson
08-19-2006, 06:31 AM
I don't know why it is messing with the reflection. The bump map is set at image map, blending mode - normal, and @100% opacity.

Anyway, I will take the bump map off and start over.

DHudson
08-19-2006, 07:29 AM
It looks like I am just not going to be able to have a bump map without having it mess with the reflection. I turned the bump map to see if it made any difference, and I see the other edge of the reflection became rippled.

Weird, eh?

iconoclasty
08-19-2006, 07:52 AM
can you describe the bump map you're using? Is it basically just white with black lines where the grooves are, or is there some other patterning going on?

DHudson
08-19-2006, 08:07 AM
For the bump map, I took the wood floor jpg into Photoshop and made it grey scale, as neilp suggested. I didn't change the size of the file or add any kind of pattern to it.

I tried using just a procedural texture without the bump map and still the reflection is affected (or should I say afflicted!).

Is it possible to use a bump map without it affected a reflection? I guess in "real life" the reflection would get bumpy.

DHudson
08-24-2006, 07:39 AM
How do I blur the reflection?

neilp
08-24-2006, 07:47 AM
surface editor - environment tab.
have fun