PDA

View Full Version : Uncompressed LW animation to DVD

Gary Heck
08-18-2006, 11:24 AM
I am currently considering upgrading my current system of animation to video tape to be able to take my uncompressed LW animations through digital editing and out to DVD.

Can anyone advise me to the software and hardware I would need to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Gary

Bog
08-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Do you mean archiving the uncompressed frames to a data DVD, or transcoding the video onto a high-rate video DVD? Big difference!

Gary Heck
08-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Thanks Bog

Probably transcoding to a high rate video DVD.

I know very llittle about recording to DVD:help: ...but it is not using the DVD to save my file info.

Gary

Gary Heck
08-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Thanks Bog

Probably transcoding to a high rate video DVD for playback.

I know very llittle about recording to DVD:help: ...but it is not using the DVD to save my file info.

Gary

avkills
08-19-2006, 09:25 AM
What platform you running?

-mark

Gary Heck
08-19-2006, 09:29 AM
PC w WindowsXP Pentium 2. But plan to up grade to a dual proccesor soon.

dsol
08-22-2006, 10:54 AM
I've only ever used DVD Studio Pro on mac for DVD production work (of which I've ended up doing quite a bit), but I know one of the directors I work with uses Adobe Encore with his PC and says it's really good. Some of the DVD burning apps out there now (nero?) also support Video DVD creation (inc. MPEG-2 encoding)

inquisitive
08-22-2006, 12:05 PM
I am currently considering upgrading my current system of animation to video tape to be able to take my uncompressed LW animations through digital editing and out to DVD.

Can anyone advise me to the software and hardware I would need to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Gary

If I undersand correctly, the video toaster may be your solution.

currently with VT4 and VT5, you can just drag the first image of a series of individual images (.tif i believe, maybe other file formats work too - been a while since i have done it.) and it will turn it into an instant clip that can be played right away.

Do not know if there is a limitation to it. if you have 40,000 frames etc. im sure NT would know that answer.

It basically replaced the single frame recorder (and the DPS Perception type cards - that did the same type of stuff)

VT4 comes with the SE version of DVD Workshop so basically you got it all.
plus VT4 comes with another seat of lightwave (attached to the vtcard).

but this may be overkill for what you want to do and expensive.

Alternative you may be able to find an old DPS Perception card on Ebay. I know that there are people that still use them.

The perception is a newer one, there was also the DPS PAR which is a lot older, they are ISA cards and require their own dedicated hardrive. hmm i think the PAR is ISA and the perception was PCI.

dsol
08-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Why on earth would you need a real-time video playback capability if you want to create a DVD? It's a software-based process with no real-time requirements (unlike say, laying off to digibeta)

Just use one of the many freeware/shareware tools out there to convert your image sequence to a video file (AVI or quicktime), then encode, author and burn the DVD using Encore (if you want to make it fancy), or one of the many other cheap or free authoring apps out there, like this:

http://www.softplatz.com/shareware/avi-to-dvd/

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/capture/encoding_authoring.html

For finding the knowledge, Google is your friend here :)

inquisitive
08-23-2006, 02:57 AM
he did mention digital editing.. its about choices anyways. Now he has more choices.

Gary Heck
08-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the reply Dan.

Would the MPeg application Nero be able to take the rendered images directly to dvd for playback or would it need an editing program?

I've seen that Share Harbor offers a setup of Avid with LW. Would this system work to take an animation directly to dvd for playback with little or no compression?

Gary

dsol
08-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Off the top of my head, most DVD creation tools I've seen require the video to be supplied to the app in AVI or Quicktime format (not image sequences). There are plenty of tools to convert image sequences to those formats though. You can even do it in LW by loading in your rendered sequence as a background (setting the camera to the same size as the original of course) and rendering out an AVI (uncompressed) of the empty scene.

dsol
08-23-2006, 10:55 AM
I've seen that Share Harbor offers a setup of Avid with LW. Would this system work to take an animation directly to dvd for playback with little or no compression?

You'll specify the level of compression when you put the video in your DVD creation app. MPEG-2 is **** good quality - especially at higher bitrates ( >8mbit/sec )

Though if this is for final output to a client for Broadcast I wouldn't be using DVD-video. Digibeta is usually the preferred format of choice. Unfortunately this is A WORLD OF PAIN if you want to do it at home :) You'd need some kind of SDI output from your PC and a fast drive (or drive array) to play out to Digi.

If it's just for showing to clients for approval then don't worry though!

Gary Heck
09-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks everyone for your input and advice.

It's a complicated process for sure...at least for me who used to use a single frame recorder and a program called SFC (single frame recorder) on an Amiga. I still think about using my LightWave on PC and using the serial port to connect with my old single frame recorder (yes I still have it) and capturing the images directly to video. But sadly am unsure about the process of setting up commands to control it.