PDA

View Full Version : Trying to create a special effect - A "Pulsed" rocket exhaust

wtdedula
08-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Hello All;
I am trying to create a pulsed rocket exhaust as shown in the picture below.

http://www.dedula.net/exhaust%20example.jpg

Can anyone suggest a strategy for accomplishing this task? Thanks.

Bog
08-18-2006, 10:42 AM
A quick-and-dirty way to get easy shock diamons is to start with the Distant Light volumetric preset, "Tractor Beam"

Pomfried
08-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Another would be by using a particle emitter parented to your object (in case you want to animate it).
Give that emitter a small size, like 1mm x 1mm x 1mm, set it to generate the particles per frame and add an expression like the one in the attached screenshot to the birthrate envelope.
What it basically does is that the birthrate is increased for three frames after every tenth frame (if you're not familiar with that expression: the first line is a if-statement -> if A smaller B, then take value C, or else take value D. Just adjust the values to your needs).
Finally add hypervoxels to your emitter and select sprite mode with no textures applied if you want that exact effect of your picture.

bob anderson
08-18-2006, 03:52 PM
I'd use edge transparency to begin with, then a transparency map (choose whatever texture gets the effect you want) with world coordinates turned on... Super easy and hardly a render hit at all.

Bob Anderson

zonezapper
08-19-2006, 01:35 AM
you might try several concentric cones each in a separate transparency control envelope, fluctuating from fully transparent to something like 50%. With transparent toroids emitted from the exhaust...also with a transparency envelope, but set to dissolve uniformly as the toroid simultaneously shrinks in size near the end of the jetstream.

wtdedula
08-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Wow, Fellas. Thanks for the tips. I'm anxious to explore some of these ideas.

Tim

SplineGod
08-21-2006, 04:45 AM
Use a gradient with several keys