PDA

View Full Version : 3D maps

marjopar
08-18-2006, 02:59 AM
Hi,
Although I have had lightwave for some time now, I did not really have the opportunity to use it. Now I need to make a 3D map of the island of Malta. I have a 2D image of the map but I could not find the way to transform it to an object. Can some one help me about this.
Thanks

Bytehawk
08-18-2006, 04:03 AM
maybe this tutorial might help
http://users.skynet.be/bytehawk/tutorial/logo/logo1.htm

IMPERIAL
08-18-2006, 04:14 AM
convert the image to grayscale.. applay it on flat subpatch polygon as displacement map.
works great in LW9.

starbase1
08-18-2006, 04:47 AM
That does assume that the map is a height map...

If not you might want to consider going to NASA's Blue Marble Generation 2 pages - there you will be able to get a height map in grayscale. You can use this as a diosplacement map for the 3d releif. They also have some high res colour maps that you should be able to use for a texture.

For a relatively small islad it will not be highly detailed, but could be useful to you...

Nick

marjopar
08-21-2006, 12:44 AM
I have understood the tutorial you gave me, but I am not in the possession of the import>EPSF loader function in lightwave.

When I click on it, the program pops out a message like plugin missing or something like that.

Is it legal to download this plugin.. and where can I find it?

Thanks in advance.

Yamba
08-21-2006, 12:59 AM
Hi Marjopar

EPSF should exist in your plugin file in your lightwave application file.
All you need to do is reload it.

Assuming your using 9: hit F11 go to the plugin folder look in Model (I think, you may have to look around) for EPSF.p and add the plugin. Alternatively, scan all your plugins again to ensure all are mounted in modeller and Layout.

If I remember correctly you should quit out of Modeller and Hub then re open Modeller and the plugin should be available.

Hopefully my procedure is correct.

Shane
mac since IIe and still sane, well almost

IMPERIAL
08-21-2006, 11:55 AM
If you dont have that plugin.. you probably dont have othes too..
i would recomend to open Layout click on utility tab, then on Edit plugins...
Clear all and scan LW root directory...
it will add all the plugins that comes with LW. Quit LW and restart it so if crashes.. you dont need to do it again.