PDA

View Full Version : FBX in LW

meshpig
08-18-2006, 03:32 AM
Hi,

Just getting into Unity Indie... so, best learn Maya Hey? So, then I downloaded the modo 202 trial and have seemingly snowed myself under!

- modo 202 is totally worth the time-out since it's only temporary at the moment!

I go straight back to LW when Maya starts looking like an F -18 cockpit. I want to deal with the animation there because I know LW much better than I do Maya presently, even though Maya is obviously more appropriate.

-Wanting to sort the character animation out quicky in LW, but I find .fbx files totally messy when imported to Layout. Maya does it better because you can translate .fbx to the one .mb file.

Still, I'm happy to do multiple files from Layout but...

How do you simply scale the mass of handles down? Anyone know?

I'm losing my grip a bit because Unity is stretching my underwear with all the scripting I haven't dealt with much yet.

:help:

gratefully

R

meshpig
08-18-2006, 09:39 PM
Ouch... I see what's happening now. The fbx rig imports as individual objects none of which affect the mesh. Also, LW only imports the first 60 frames.

:cursin:

R

colkai
08-19-2006, 05:56 AM
If you import, FBX does not animate the mesh. To animate in LW, you need to have the base character in LW. This to me is an FBX failing, as, if the original character came from LW, even if you don't have the resources on your version of LW, it will import.
It suggests it is being deliberately blocked for some reason.

Sorry, rant over.
Anyhoo, we use LW and MB together really well, also, the 60 frame thing, that's your default scene size, if you change your end frame to whatever it was in the FBX file, you'll see all your frames are indeed there and work.

When we work, we never import, we always merge our data.
Any questions, fire away. :)

meshpig
08-19-2006, 09:07 AM
Thanks Colkai/birdsong.

Really interesting to hear from you. Thanks for the scene end tip.

I'm OK with LW fbx export from my own LW rigs but ****ting myself over the bought packages.
So, you're saying persist with Maya and get on with it?

Cool.
:thumbsup:
R

colkai
08-19-2006, 09:41 AM
We have someone using Maya and FBX fine, our problem stems from importing the FBX rig which was Maya based. As you've spotted, it applied the motion to the control nulls, not the rig of the mesh.

It's a pet peeve of mine that this functionality isn't in FBX. I am sure it used to be there with the 4.0 FBX version, but we've not fully investigated a way of bringing in Maya rigs to LW.
That's not to say it can't be done of course, just our MB team really consists of me and the team leader and to be honest, we don't have the time to invest in checking all alternatives.

meshpig
08-19-2006, 11:56 PM
That's interesting... food for thought.

-When you say merge data as opposed importing... what do you mean?

colkai
08-20-2006, 04:50 AM
The FBX plugin actually has 3 parts to it, exprot FBX, import FBX and merge FBX.
Let us say your scene was set up & rigged in LW, (we use 3DDaves 'mb' rig as the basis for all our 'std' characters). You export that to FBX.
Pull into MB, characterise and animate using story clips.
Plot the motion to the rig and save.
You then go into LW, load up your 'setup' scene, choose Merge FBX and select your plotted scene.
This will pull all the data from MB into LW onto your rig.
Then I just re-orient the reference null, (it always goes out on merging FBX).
Alter my scene length to match the MB output and save under a suitable name.
If you want, you're welcome to contact me on MSN or ICQ to go into this in more detail. I presume the methodology is similar to using it in Maya though.
(Having said this, the FBX plugin is more slanted towards Autodesk/Alias products I think, especially these days).

meshpig
08-21-2006, 12:17 AM
Thanks ColKai.

Very kind of you, will have a more thorough look at what you are saying and thanks, if need be will drop you a message. Hopefully I will have something to offer in return.

M