PDA

View Full Version : Beginning Plug-in Development...

petrockproducti
08-17-2006, 01:39 PM
...I just got finished downloading microsoft visual C++ express studio.

As a disclaimer, I have never really programmed before, beyond advanced object oriented based scripting in Matlab. I am slowly making the attempt to build a resume/portfolio/demo reel in order to expand my marketability as an artist. I am also a dreamer and I constantly think about really cool art projects that might require some programming. Lightwave integration with GIS immediately comes to mind (Arcgis is such a limited visual platform). As well as expanding the GIMP platform to handle GIS raster data composition and analysis.

I was just wondering if the Visuall C++ studio express will have enough funcionality to develop plug-ins for Lightwave. After looking through the nodal example in the SDK, it seemed fairly simple and fairly easy to use as a template to build my own simple nodes.

Additionally, if anybody has any other programming resources they have found useful, I am all ears. I am the type of learner who likes to dive right into the process. I'm not a huge fan of the "Hello World" tutorials becaues they don't offer a useful product at the end.

Finally, a little off topic, I have some ideas for a couple internet telerobotic installations involving RadioShack's VEX platform. My engineering firm's office has a gallery component and my boss has already expressed interest in doing a modern installation responding to SPAM and web-based community artwork.

BloodQuest
08-23-2006, 06:20 PM
I can't remember where it was covered, here or splinecage, but it's certainly possible. Someone even worked out how to optimise for 64-bit.

Simon

jameswillmott
08-23-2006, 07:13 PM
If you're new to programming you might want to try Bloodshed's Dev-C++ too. It's very simple to use, and I've tried both it and Visual C++ Express, and found it much less daunting than VC++

ShawnStovall
08-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Now I'm embaresed... I bought Visual Studio 2005 Standard addition.:D

GregMalick
08-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Look at the SDK examples. Especially the ones with proj files.
You can actually open one the project files and virtually just compile it and run it. I use the free Visual C++ 2005 Express and I like it alot.

The only thing is that I wish the SDK examples were in C++ instead of C.
I should spend some time in the future converting them - but I can't get myself motivated.

:D

ShawnStovall
08-23-2006, 10:37 PM
:bowdown: That would be great!

Medi8or
08-24-2006, 05:12 PM
D4mn... It seems I'm using an old sdk here. I never knew there was a node example. :(

BloodQuest
08-25-2006, 06:04 PM
I bought Visual Studio 2005 Standard

Hey Shawn,

I might be interested in taking that off your hands if you're happy with using Express...

Simon

Lightwolf
08-26-2006, 04:04 AM
Express works fine if you only need to compile 32bit plugins. You'll need to nstall the Platform SDK as well, but that is documented on the Express homepage.
64bit plugins are possible as well, but the workaround is extremely hacky.

It also seems that you can upgrade to VS Standard from a variety of other tools (surprisingly, Dreamweaver is one of them).

Cheers,
Mike

ShawnStovall
08-26-2006, 12:44 PM
Hey Shawn,

I might be interested in taking that off your hands if you're happy with using Express...

Simon

It's academic(not for commercial use). I got it for $50 on http://www.academicsuperstore.com.

In other words, I can't resell/give it away.