PDA

View Full Version : LWCAD 1.5 v 2.0

adrian
08-17-2006, 10:45 AM
I've been to the LWCAD website and had a read about this (what everyone is calling) an excellent plugin. I got my activation code to download the free version of 1.5 from NTE the other day but haven't had time to play with it yet.

Simple question really: what makes version 2.0 so much better than 1.5? I have less than 3 days to decide whether to buy the upgrade or not - thing is though, I won't have time to use the plugin before then due to work commitments.

Hmmm, what to do? Although I've not done much in the way of architectural work with LW up to now, in the future I certainly will.

One other thing, can I follow the tuts for version 2 whilst using 1.5?

Lottmedia
08-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Well, let me take that in reverse. For the tuts, not really, but that's why I ended up getting 2. After trying to do the tuts in 1.5 to get to know it, I started discovering how very improved 2 is. Honestly I can say that I didn't use 1.5 much cause I upgraded very quickly. To keep from repeating myself, check out my thread in WIPs
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55278
There's a lot of stuff there that might help you. Hope this helps.

Casey :cat:
(no, I'm not sponsered by WTools....but I'm open to it :) )

colkai
08-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Sheesh, what makes it better, well, it just IS really.
Not much help I know, but it's a heck of an upgrade and I would heartily recommend getting the upgrade.
I'm a hobbyist myself, so I upgrade plugins very carefully, this one was a no-brainer. :)

kruemel_1
08-17-2006, 11:35 AM
For the decision for V2 you shouldn't take the tutorials, look at the videos in the online help. They show what you CAN'T do with V1.5

Simon
08-17-2006, 01:20 PM
V2 is hugely improved! I just love ...
Real time booleans.
Snapping to perpendiculars and tangents.
The little preset windows for the shapes (I never liked how those v1.5 outlines scrolled by really fast in the viewports when you were trying to find a shape).
Saving your own shapes, e.g. doorways and archs, to use again instantly.

I miss the polygon tool though, that worked really well in the persp views. Don't know why that was removed.

dgon64
08-17-2006, 01:23 PM
The biggest difference for me right off the bat was ease of learning. LWCAD1.5 was much more of a struggle to learn due to sparse documentation. The updated toolset and improved tutorials made learning to use LWCAD2.0 -SO MUCH EASIER. If you look through the forums you'll notice many questions about how to use LWCAD1.5. I really don't see many questions about how to use LWCAD2.0 which tells me that the combination of improved tutorials and better tools merits the nominal expense to upgrade-especially if you plan use 1.5 alot.

Lottmedia
08-17-2006, 01:42 PM
everythign Simon says (he he, get it?) is spot on.Realtime boleans have changed my outlook on life. And it does seem easier (to me at least)

Simon, how do you save a shape for later (just did about a dozen windows manually cause I couldn't figure it out)

Casey :cat:

Simon
08-17-2006, 01:49 PM
There should be a 'add to 1D lib' and 'add to 2D lib' buttons on the interface, the panel has options for making folders etc to keep them in. V useful!
p.s. check your private mails Lottmedia.

adrian
08-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Cheers guys... ok I'm convinced. I will upgrade without even bothering to use 1.5

colkai
08-18-2006, 02:40 AM
Just allow yourself the luxury of sitting down and playing with LWCAD for a few hours. Once you start, it really opens up ideas, but if you just install it and think "hmm, wonder if I could use that", you'd probably not push it as much as you could.

adrian
08-18-2006, 03:14 AM
Funny you should say that because at the moment I'm doing that with LW itself. I'm currently going through the InsideLW8 book and doing all the tuts, so making some time for LWCAD won't be a problem :)

colkai
08-18-2006, 03:40 AM
Yeah, I have so much stuff I should work through, but I rarely find the time these days.
One day, I'm gonna "treat" myself to doing the same. :)

hrgiger
08-18-2006, 07:02 AM
LWCAD 2 is the best modeler plug-in that I've ever had. Hands down.

monovich
08-18-2006, 02:58 PM
I couldn't figure out wether or not to upgrade to 2 when I hadn't even used 1.5 yet (even though I owned it). After watching the feature videos I bought 2 instantly and love it. Take the tutes on the site and you'll be up in running in an hour or two and it'll quite possibly change the way you model - at least for non organic objects. It is the best plugin for modeler I've used also. It brings a level of precision and neatness to my work that it has never had.

Bytehawk
08-18-2006, 03:08 PM
for me : engraver and profiler are a great timesaver.

adrian
08-19-2006, 02:31 AM
Bought the upgrade two minutes ago :D

I thought it was a direct download after payment, but obviously not - no worries anyway as I won't be able to sit and play until Monday.

Thanks for all the feedback - this has made my decision very easy, despite not having used LWCAD at all. :thumbsup:

dgon64
08-19-2006, 06:01 PM
From Safe Harbor in the US, it was a direct download. After payment an e-mail with appropriate information and link was sent. However, this authorization was done manually so if you purchsed afterhours you may have to wait until an actual person processes your order. Someone who purchased in Europe may have better information. Good luck with 2.0-you can't go wrong.

T-Light
08-20-2006, 07:02 AM
Same here DGon, NE processes manually too.

Adrian, watch the installation video on the WTools site before you install. As Bog found out, your harware key isn't your dongle ID (that was funny, you should track down Bog's post :D ). Also, a friend of mine installed the other day and misstyped his hardware ID (last two numbers switched). If you make a mistake here you've got to wait till WTools get back to you by email (can take a while if it's out of hours etc).

T-Light
08-20-2006, 07:10 AM
Here's Bog's post on why you should read the manual. In fact, this post should be in the Oxford Dictionary on the true meaning of 'RTFM'.

As it's fast dissapering into the archives, here it is for all who missed it. - Funny as.:D

Bog -

GAHHHHHHH!!!!!

*rips hair out*

WARNING! When the registration page asks for your "Hardware Number" DO NOT ASSUME IT MEANS YOUR DONGLE ID!

Just because every other 3rd party plugin developer on the frackin' planet asks for your dongle ID is no reason to be makin' crazy assumptions! Your Dongle ID is not the Hardware Number, it's a number that LWCAD2 pulls out of it's bum.

In my case, after I'd hit the "Register" button. Meaning I can't use the automatic registration system. I have to wait. In a queue.

It's a natural assumption, I feel, but learn from my mistake... WTools have a whole unique and special meaning of "Hardware Number", one concocted soley as a test to see who watches the special video, and who says "Meh, I'm sure I can figure it out myself".

Right, I think that's most of my toys out of the pram.... ;)

Brilliant :thumbsup:

adrian
08-20-2006, 08:04 AM
LOL :) Thanks for the heads-up.

When my order is processed I'll be sure to follow the advice above!

sadkkf
08-22-2006, 11:50 AM
Is there another way to purchase the upgrade besides Safe Harbor?

adrian
08-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Yes, from Newtek Europe (where I got mine) and no-doubt Newtek in the USA will sell it too, although I haven't checked so I could be wrong.

sadkkf
08-22-2006, 01:48 PM
I've checked the US NT site and no such luck.

Oh, well. Guess I'll *have* to order from Safe Harbor.:thumbsdow

StereoMike
08-22-2006, 04:19 PM
it's worth the price alone for realtime booleans and profiler/engraver

Mike

sadkkf
08-22-2006, 05:26 PM
it's worth the price alone for realtime booleans and profiler/engraver

No kidding. Less than $100 for an upgrade is a no-brainer. :D

Lottmedia
08-23-2006, 08:21 AM
Here, here!