PDA

View Full Version : Proof Positive

Chilton
08-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Hi,

A number of you have asked for some kind of proof that NewTek has recommitted themselves to the Mac platform. Aside from showing off the Universal Binary, fixing bugs, etc., I couldn't come up with an easy way to prove it until today.

Today another thread popped up that reminded me of an age old tradition among Mac users, namely to take a picture of their slick pad, show off their fancy new hardware, etc. So I have done so, as seen below.

Feel free to add your own photos to this thread!

I ask only that you stop suggesting I am in fact a poser, as this photo will clearly prove you wrong.

-Chilton

http://homepage.mac.com/chilton/.Pictures/blingedout.jpg

BazC
08-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Wow! An impressive piece of kit, is that one of the new Mac Pros? ;)

Chilton
08-17-2006, 10:08 AM
That's what the guy in the stand outside the Apple store told me.

BazC
08-17-2006, 10:10 AM
LOL! Good to see Newtek is investing in the latest hardware for Mac development! :D

Scazzino
08-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Come on now... that's OBVIOUSLY a fake...

Since any real Mac user would obviously be smiling... :D

That's a mistake that a lot of PC users make when trying to fake Mac photos... ;)

Chilton
08-17-2006, 11:35 AM
But... but... it's a real MAC! I mean look at the user interface!

(backwards mouse is a nod to the old MacWarehouse magazines that regularly featured a model holding a mouse backwards)

jeremyhardin
08-17-2006, 11:54 AM
is that keyboard plugged into the disk drive?? HAHA!

jeremyhardin
08-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Well, I've got nothing so cool as that image to show (my old performa is packed away somewhere).

I'm freelancing, so I don't even have the normal 'setup' pics to show. But here's my traveling setup. :thumbsup:

BazC
08-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Oooo, how do you like the Mighty Mouse Jeremy, I've read some bad reviews but I haven't had a chance to use one myself.

shrox
08-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Killer set-up. Are those blood spots on the wall just above your arm from previous Mac developers?

gatz
08-17-2006, 01:06 PM
backwards mouse is a nod to the old MacWarehouse magazines that regularly featured a model holding a mouse backwards

I want to see a Stuff or Wired "Where Are They Now" pictorial! Remember the "ageless" blonde that served as their coverbabe through the nineties? I used to recycle three or four catalogs a week before this net thang took over;)

avkills
08-17-2006, 01:26 PM
I can't believe they let you have such a powerful system Chilton; I mean all your doing is writing code. ;) I've got another MiniTower just like that if you want to set up a parallel system. :D

-mark

marble_sheep
08-17-2006, 02:34 PM
:eek: It's a leaked photo of the new iPod!!!

Seriously tho... awesome picture, Chilton. I literally laughed out loud. You know, it's been said in other threads, but I'll restate it here... it's really awesome to see a Newtek developer this dedicated to the Mac community. You rock!

And I can't post a pic of my setup because I'm at work, stuck with Windows :compbeati

jeremyhardin
08-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Oooo, how do you like the Mighty Mouse Jeremy, I've read some bad reviews but I haven't had a chance to use one myself.

I think the bad reviews are probably founded. I mean...I can't do 2 clicks at the same time. About 1 in 1000 times it misinterprets which click I did (left vs. right). And the scroll ball doesn't act like a scroll wheel in shake.

normally I use my wacom at home, but I don't like to lug it around. I will say that whenever I use the wacom mouse...I'm always trying to use the side scroll ball and can't because it doesn't have one, which frustrates me to be going back to being limited scroll-wise.

so it's pick your poison imho.

JeffRutan
08-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Hey Chilton!

I knew that was a fake as soon as I saw that up-side-down mouse! Can't fool me! ;-)

For those who like the styling of the Mighty Mouse, but not the feel and performance, here are some alternatives from the remains of a company that Chilton and I used to do some work for (I did the industrial design work for many of these products):

http://www.macmice.com/input.html

Chilton, your Quadra system looks much more advanced than mine!...

(Actually this is not me at the uh.. uh.. "mouse", but the system setup does look a lot like my first Apple II with RF modulator output to a B/W TV).

-Jeff

http://www.jeffrutan.com/mipc0am.jpg

eidetiken
08-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Jeff, does that thing come with a modem? In my day two tin cans connected by twine used to work.

JeffRutan
08-17-2006, 07:33 PM
In those days we had no modems, just typed LIST for a few line numbers at a time (INTEGER or APPLESOFT BASIC), then took a Polaroid photo of the screen for each page on code text and snail-mailed the photos to the recipient! Don't laugh too hard, a NASA engineer my dad was working with at the time actually did that! Printers were really expensive and modems were untouchable!

To save a program we could also record it to a cassette tape. That could be snail-mailed too if the recipient had the same kind of computer. ;-)

I actually wrote my first 3D drafting application using one of these original Apple II computers in 1982. It supported up to a whopping 600 vertices! ;-)

-Jeff

eidetiken
08-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Would love to see the polaroid. That's a good one. In the 40's and 50's we didn't have NASA, you kids get to play with all the good stuff. When I tell my friends in the geriatric ward I'm trying to write programs on my Mac... they just ignore me and go back to playing pinochle.

DrTWT
08-17-2006, 10:34 PM
(Actually this is not me at the uh.. uh.. "mouse", but the system setup does look a lot like my first Apple II with RF modulator output to a B/W TV).

http://www.jeffrutan.com/mipc0am.jpg

this is killing me...:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JeffRutan
08-17-2006, 10:58 PM
I think this one (MS Tech Support Outsourcing) belongs in this collection too!
-Jeff

http://xs67.xs.to/pics/06061/Bombay-tech-support.jpg

BazC
08-18-2006, 01:49 AM
I think the bad reviews are probably founded. I mean...I can't do 2 clicks at the same time. About 1 in 1000 times it misinterprets which click I did (left vs. right). And the scroll ball doesn't act like a scroll wheel in shake.

Hmm, praps I'll give it a miss then, thanks for the info!