PDA

View Full Version : Novice UV mapper question

juzliqan
06-05-2003, 03:17 PM
Hi all,

I just know this question will have a simple answer...

I've just started using UV maps to colour some objects (I managed to get away with procedural maps so far...). Now I can map the image to the surface OK (it all looks cool in the perspective views in both modeller and layout). Now I just want to render.

But whenever I render a frame, the UV mapped image no longer appears - the object is rendered as though I had not UV mapped an image at all.

I've gone through the manual and scratched my head lots, but I just can't work out what's going on.

Any ideas what I've missed?

Regards,

Julian

TerryFord
06-06-2003, 05:38 AM
Render Options/Render Mode set to Quickshade?

UV image layer unchecked (turned off) in Surface Editor?

A procedural or something above the UV image in the Surface Editor?

Regards,
Terry

juzliqan
06-06-2003, 01:34 PM
Hi there,

no accidents that I can see -

render mode is set to realistic, the UV image layer is switched on, and there are no other texture layers to obscure it.

The funny thing is the UV mapped texture appears fine in a textured shaded solid view in Layout. It just doesn't appear in a render.

???

Julian

TerryFord
06-06-2003, 02:36 PM
Hmm, bit of a stumper then. Does the image have a funky alpha that's hiding everything?

I could check the scene if you can put it online somewhere...

Regards,
Terry

juzliqan
06-08-2003, 10:37 AM
Terry,

I've tried a few experiments here, and I've narrowed the problem down to the image I am using. For some reason LW is not happy with this particular image (created in Photoshop). It loads it fine, but cannot render with it...

Saving the same image from Photoshop in different image formats works fine when used as a UV texture in LW. And saving other images in the same format as the faulty one (TGA) also works fine in LW. Just that image as a TGA fails.

So I'll just use a different image format I guess!

Julian

TerryFord
06-08-2003, 10:49 AM
Cool, glad you got it sorted. I'd still be inclined to blame it on an alpha problem, unless you saved it as a 24bit TGA (no alpha), in which case it might just be a LW bug...

Regards,
Terry

juzliqan
06-08-2003, 01:11 PM
Hmm,

I saved it as 32 bit targa ...

When I have time I shall experiment with 24 and 32 bit tgas and LW to see what works and what doesn't...

Julian

Lamont
06-09-2003, 02:43 PM
If you don't need the alpha, disable it in the image control panel. Or just delete it.