PDA

View Full Version : Texture file size?

wmartz
08-17-2006, 08:42 AM
Hey guys,
This is a very noob question but I am one, so it works out. I've finished with my first model(Nothing special, just a tampered with rectangle with soft edges and stuff) and I'm trying to apply image textures. The file format is in .psd, which I know works, since I've another .psd which I -can- load, but for some reason the two images I need wont. Is there a size restriction on imported texture images? I'm a bit frustrated, as it took me about a week to get it to where I am now, and I can taste victory ;)
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

avkills
08-17-2006, 08:47 AM
How much memory do you have; what are the pixel dimensions and bit depths? I would recommend flattening those images to TGA or PNG.

-mark

wmartz
08-17-2006, 09:08 AM
I'm actually at work, so I cant access my files or lightwave, but from memory... One of them is 300x300 pixels, the other is 300x500 or so. Their respective file sizes are 550kb and 770kb. As for memory on my computer, I've got 1 gig of ram on a p4 3 gig. Thanks for the suggestion already though, if nothing else I'll do that tonight. I'm a bit worried about quality though, I need to be able to zoom on this object and show small details.

iconoclasty
08-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Can you be more specific as to how they "don't load". Will image editor refuse to bring them in? Does it give you an error message? Do they come in but not render accurately?

wmartz
08-17-2006, 10:32 AM
When I open the surface editor, select the surface and click on T, then go to load image, it opens the image picker. When I try to select the file in question, the image picker closes, as if I had, but in the surface editor I still get Image: (none)

avkills
08-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Don't worry, if you save a PSD file out as a TGA or PNG you should not lose any quality. I'd use TGA, since PNG use some sort of lossless compression.

Not to mention Lightwave likes Targa files.

-mark

wmartz
08-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks, I'll give it a try and report back. Shouldn't lightwave be able to take the other file types, though? I gotta say, v9 is really ****ed buggy.

iconoclasty
08-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Have you scanned your plugins? Lightwave should TOTALLY be able to import PSDs but I think some people were having issues with images not loading because that plugin wasn't running.

bob anderson
08-18-2006, 04:01 PM
I always use .TGA's as they are lossless. Your problem could be with layering in the saved images. If , for some reason, the files HAVE to be in .psd format (which i can't imagine why) flatten them and then try re-loading.

Iconoclasty has a good idea about scanning the plug-ins... you are looking for the .psd loader/saver in the i/o subdirectory, but doing a scan should load them all. Usually when an i/o module isn't loaded you'll get a "can't load image message" as opposed to nothing happening.

Bob Anderson

wmartz
08-18-2006, 08:35 PM
All of the images were flattened, but I'll try the plugin scan. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help. :)