PDA

View Full Version : Real lens camera

Exception
08-17-2006, 02:11 AM
For those who've used it...
Are there presets for professional cameras such as hasselblad, bronica, mamiya, Sinar and rollei present in the real lens camera tool? Or is it just consumer grade stuff?

Dave Jerrard
08-18-2006, 02:19 PM
From what I could see on the demo, it lists brands, models and then lenses for those models. I'd expect that the list will grow over time as new cameras and lenses become available. I see no reason why it would be limited to consumer brands, since this seems to be a tool aimed at the professional market.

It would also be nice if this could hook into the resolutions & aspects, and set those up to match the specific camera selected in this thing. Right now, it looks like you could use settings that are not within the limits of a specific camera. It's so new though, that anything I say is probably just wild speculation at this point.

He Who Has A Few Of Those Lenses So Is Eager To Make Some Comparisons.

shrox
08-18-2006, 03:15 PM
I made some lens objects a couple years ago, but it took forever to render, it adds a dimension of true perspecitive, with curving lines at extreme FOV rather than just straight lines. I just made some transparent lens shapes and rendered with refraction on with the lens object placed in front of the camera. I haven't played with the new camera set-ups, but I am very hopeful about them.

JamesCurtis
08-18-2006, 10:18 PM
As far as I can tell, the new camera model settings are not yet in our current LW9 release. Right?

Earl
08-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Correct. These were demo'd at SIGGRAPH '06, and are supposed to be a part of the 9.1 update (free update to 9.0 users).

Karmacop
08-18-2006, 11:04 PM
In the video it was said that choosing a camera was just a filter for what lenses that camera could use, So that sounds as if this plugin models the lenses and not the camera? I don't do much photography but would different cameras on the ends of lenses make any difference, or only the shutter type and film?

I was hoping that we'd also be able to load this lense data into lightwave, not that I know where to get that data from :p

bluerider
08-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Karmacop,Good news is, it loads specific camera models, plus each camera model you choose has of course got its own range of lenses that fit that particular model.

Each camera model in LightWave faithfully replicates its real world counter part, plus replicating that particular Vignette in regard to choosen lens.

Exception
09-04-2006, 12:55 PM
In the video it was said that choosing a camera was just a filter for what lenses that camera could use, So that sounds as if this plugin models the lenses and not the camera? I don't do much photography but would different cameras on the ends of lenses make any difference, or only the shutter type and film?

I was hoping that we'd also be able to load this lense data into lightwave, not that I know where to get that data from :p

The different cameras each have their own specific type of lenses, lens treatment, chromatic abberation, added to that, for instance a Fuji 68 has a 6x8 cm film plane, and a Mamiya 67 has a 6x7 film plane... Bronica has the ability to put 35mm film using a 6x6 lens, and so on...

See, I have a Bronica Ai series camera and lenses, and it would help enormously to match renders to photographs this way...
Hasselblad, Bronica, Mamiya and Fujinon are still the best cameras you can get in mid range... there's no new digital camera that can even come remotely close to that sort of quality. But it is the tiny imperfections that make it help look real, so it would be great to have these.

This could be the first step towards and actual in-engine approach to photometrically correct rendering, much like Virtual Darkroom mimicks, and Maxwell partially has already integrated.
There's going to be some massive research needed for that though, or a smart system where the presets can be made by users... film types, speeds, development processes (cross, e64, whatnot)...
yummy!

Draven
11-04-2007, 12:35 PM
(thread resurrection in progress)

Unfortunately, these real lens settings for the cameras would be much more useful for photometric accuracy is we had settings for motion p[icture film cameras (say, some Panavision lenses) and video cameras (HVX-200 would be specifically very useful to me, but DVX-100s and XL2s and Sony F900 and F950 etc etc)