PDA

View Full Version : Tequila Scream and LW9?

Axis3d
08-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Anyone having luck running Tequila Scream on LW9? I had to change the lw9.cfg to lw8.cfg and the lw9ext.cfg to lw8.cfg so Tequila scream could find it. It initializes and goes through the motions of rendering, but did not actually save the files. I emailed the company days ago but have not heard anything yet. Anyone figure this out?

3D Kiwi
08-17-2006, 11:32 PM
have asked this same questain and got no reply, found that i could not render the node surfaces, but it was rendering the frame and saving it. I didnt change my cfg files so it was using version 8s. I have also heard that They are not updating tequila scream anymore (not sure how true that is)
Have heard that Butterfly net render works but havent tried it myself.

Let me know if you have any luck with tequila.

jasonazure
08-18-2006, 02:43 AM
I contacted Chepe (the guy who wrote Tequila Scream) a few days ago, he emailed back that he didn't even have LW9 yet, but when he had it installed he would decide if he was going to continue to support it or NOT !

Doesn't look too promising :thumbsdow

I hope he does upgrade the software, as I have downloaded evaluation versions of nearly every other render controller (MULE, SPIDER, MUSTER, BNR) and they all use direct TCP/IP connection to the nodes which can cause problems with Windows XP SP2 due to it's crippling 10 connection limit !!!

I thought I had got around this problem with a LINUX server, as Tequila communicates via text files written to the server that all the render nodes refer to for instruction.

trick
08-18-2006, 04:19 AM
I contacted Chepe (the guy who wrote Tequila Scream) a few days ago, he emailed back that he didn't even have LW9 yet, but when he had it installed he would decide if he was going to continue to support it or NOT !

Doesn't look too promising...

That is already more then he told me some weeks ago: I thought he already stopped on development. I really hope he reconsiders since Tequila has never given me any problems. I find it hard to swallow that LW9 still has no seperate and decent render controller, but I find it even harder to buy another controller because I can not use the good one I already have. Luckily I still work in LW75 and next to that in MAX ;)

jasonazure
08-18-2006, 04:44 AM
Maybe we should let him know that we are willing to pay an upgrade charge !

I've had years of reliable use out of my $149.95 (with unlimited nodes) so I would be happy to pay for it to work with LW9. Especially as I've looked at the per node price scales of the other render controllers on the market !

trick
08-18-2006, 05:19 AM
Maybe we should let him know that we are willing to pay an upgrade charge ! ...

Surely Agree...just point him to this thread...

Axis3d
08-18-2006, 12:47 PM
I would be willing to pay for an upgrade also. Chepe has to make a living also.

jasonazure - I have also downloaded a few of the other controllers and tried some of them but they are not as nice and simple as tequila was.

I'll give screamernet a shot until then.

trick
08-19-2006, 03:39 AM
...I'll give screamernet a shot until then.

Can you control screamernet without a dongled LW (Discovery mode) ?? I never tried !! This would mean you can control it from any machine.

EDIT: Found the answer here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19182&highlight=screamernet+discovery+mode) !!

elfworks
08-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Anyone having luck running Tequila Scream on LW9? I had to change the lw9.cfg to lw8.cfg and the lw9ext.cfg to lw8.cfg so Tequila scream could find it. It initializes and goes through the motions of rendering, but did not actually save the files. I emailed the company days ago but have not heard anything yet. Anyone figure this out?

I also got an error when I tried to run Tequila Scream the first time.

However, I found out that the error is not critical, and I've been using it to render on ten nodes for the last few weeks without a problem.

When configuring the Tequila Nodes, I got the error:
"Could not find configuration files (LW8.cfg/LWext8.cfg)"

At first, I figured Tequila Scream wouldn't work, and I didn't even try to render anything.

I sent some e-mail to Chepe, and got the same response. He was as helpful as he could be, but I can understand how lagging sales might have forced him to shelve the project. I think I've gotten my money's worth out of the package, and even encouraged him to consider charging $30-$50 for a patched version. (I see he'd have at least three sales, based on this thread. :))

So, after messing around with the builtin Screamernet (ugh!), and another couple of days with Spider (not crazy about it), I decided to try Tequila Scream again.

I just ignored the error messages, and fired up the nodes. They started up without error, so I threw a scene at it. Imagine my surprise when it actually worked!?!

I haven't had any trouble loading (the few) plugins associated with my scenes, and ParticleFX PFX files seem to work fine. I can't say I've used every feature, but nothing's broke yet.

You say everything is working except that it doesn't save the rendered images?

Are you sure your save path is visible from the render nodes? (I know that sometimes I'll work on a scene using a local temp directory to render into, and then I'll forget to set the correct path when I'm ready to network render. When the save path is invalid, the LWSN nodes won't show an error message, and all those images will be lost '...like tears in rain.' :) )

In a nutshell:
I get an error message, but it works for me. :thumbsup:

P.S. I run Tequila Scream on my main server (Windows 2000) downstairs, and all render nodes run from a common copy of Tequila_Node on that system.
I do not map drives, and use UNC naming for all paths. (//Mainframe/L9/Programs, //Mainframe/L9/Command, //Mainframe/L9/Config)
I keep my config files in a separate folder, and always invoke LightWave with the -c option to specify the path to my config files.
I also use VNC to remotely administer my server and all render nodes.

Not sure if any of the above info is useful, but thought it'd give a clearer picture of my network setup.

Axis3d
08-20-2006, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=elfworks
You say everything is working except that it doesn't save the rendered images?

Are you sure your save path is visible from the render nodes? (I know that sometimes I'll work on a scene using a local temp directory to render into, and then I'll forget to set the correct path when I'm ready to network render. When the save path is invalid, the LWSN nodes won't show an error message, and all those images will be lost '...like tears in rain.' :) )
[/QUOTE]

I will definitely double-check all of my typing and paths, etc. for tequila scream.

In the meantime, I got screamernet to work without any problems. The biggest thing was that I was using the startlwsn_node.bat file for the first time. I used to set up screamernet by creating a shortcut to the lwsn.exe file, then editing the shortcut to include all of the paths.

When I edited the startlwsn_node.bat file, it did not automatically put in the quotation marks around the path names (which you need!).

Here is what my startlwsn_node.bat file looks like running on one machine:

"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9\Programs"
LWSN.exe -2 -c"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9\Programs\Configs" "C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9\Programs\Commands\job1" "C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9\Programs\Commands\ack1"

I will definitely give Tequila another shot because I like the ability to re-order or even delete a particular render after everything is under way.

p.s. Thanks for the Bladerunner quote.

elfworks
08-25-2006, 12:08 AM
I will definitely double-check all of my typing and paths, etc. for tequila scream.

In the meantime, I got screamernet to work without any problems."

I'm glad you got everything to work.

One of the reasons I like TequilaScream is that I'm not a big fan of .BAT files.

Yes, I could write custom BAT files for each node and invoke them from a command line - I did that sort of stuff back when a CLI was all you had to work with. These days, I'll point-n-click, and let the computer do some work for me. :)

I will definitely give Tequila another shot because I like the ability to re-order or even delete a particular render after everything is under way.

It's got a lot of idionsyncracies, but like an 'old shoe', it's become something I rely on.

p.s. Thanks for the Bladerunner quote.

There were a couple of cold Northern California mornings where I woke up hoping to find a directory full of freshly rendered images - only to realize I had #$%^ed up the save path. I could really relate to Roy Batty's plight...

So much to render, and so little time...