PDA

View Full Version : Need particle emmiter help. shooting projectiles.

dwburman
08-16-2006, 01:55 PM
I intend to use particles and FX-Linker to shoot objects from one character at another.

I'm having trouble setting up the emitter to spit out particles when I want it to. eg. I want him to shoot a series of particles, one at frames 1877, 1896, 1918 and 1936 as well as a bunch more later.

The emitter is a null.
I set up a collision object (mode set to event) to run through the emitter, hoping to trigger it that way (Generate by Collision Event). When it works at all, it only generates particles on one of the passes.

I also tried changing the 'generate by' to 'frames' and setting the Key Effect to 'key' and 'key-env' on the emitter. Again, no luck in getting it to fire particles on the frames I want it to.

Am I just missing something simple?

objuan
08-16-2006, 02:30 PM
Cant open it and look right now, but I'm pretty sure you can set your emitter to generate by frames, and then click the "e" next to birth rate and set an envelope saying 0 particles on frame 0, 22 particles on frame 1877, etc... and set your node types to hold.

So to answer your question, yes, you are just missing something simple, and isnt that the way it always is. AGGH!

dwburman
08-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Cant open it and look right now, but I'm pretty sure you can set your emitter to generate by frames, and then click the "e" next to birth rate and set an envelope saying 0 particles on frame 0, 22 particles on frame 1877, etc... and set your node types to hold.

So to answer your question, yes, you are just missing something simple, and isnt that the way it always is. AGGH!

Thanks. I tried it. The Envelope [E] is for Birth Rate. I tried setting the birthrate to 1 on the frames where I want one particle to fire.

It worked after I changed the "Size Effect" from it's defalt setting to "Size (no change)"

Now it works with the Key Effect set to "Key".

of course, my shield collision object is now bouncing things off 1m from the poly faces. :bangwall: Does anyone know what's going on with this? (I have a bunch of particles to illustrate what's happening) - this shows a stream of particles. some have bounced off, some haven't hit yet and and some have gone through the shield b/c the bounce/bind power is set at 50%. The yellow circle is the target the particles are aimed at.